Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Father's Day Lemon Friands

Monkey Boys last year devouring the meagre baby carrot crop.
The plum tree's in blossom but I'm not feeling a spring in my step yet.  Last night was wild and windy.  The wind had blown off the copper snail guard on my terracotta pot and blown over my snow pea teepees.  I'm not sure the snow peas will survive but here's hoping.  One of the reasons I took up veggie gardening was the effect it had on my littlest, fussiest monkey.  He discovered that he loved snowpeas that he'd picked himself (before this he'd diligently pick off and discard anything green in his meal).  He also loved the two (yes TWO) baby carrots that I'd managed to grow last year after months of watering and tending.  I haven't attempted to grow baby carrots again but I do regularly buy them at the market and he'll happily munch on a couple with a selection of things for his lunch.  Now whenever he's outside I'll attempt to excite him with the latest growing discovery but he's getting harder to impress.  Last week he told me that the new shoots popping through in the indoor greenhouse were "bowing" (he's still having trouble pronouncing 'r' sounds).

Anyway, being Father's Day I thought I'd better give Monkey Man a day off from bamboo digging and cook a treat for him.   We're going to visit the relatives for dinner tonight and I'm contributing a veggie tart, roast beetroot and lemon friands.

Roast Beetroot
I finally dug up the remainder of the beetroot and baked them.  Disregarding all expert advice, I peeled them before baking and without wearing gloves.  Being gold and the usual coloured beetroot, I decided to cook them in separate pans in case the pink colour leeched everywhere.  I swished them about in some olive oil, salt and pepper, a couple of bay leaves and some cloves of crushed unpeeled garlic.  They cooked for about an hour.  I mixed them in a serving bowl, peeled the garlic and crushed it in with the oil and drizzled it over.  They look pretty good.

The lemon tree is still choc full and these lemon friands won't make a dent but I'll bring a bag for the relatives tonight.  These friands are quick and delicious - always a winner. Just make sure you grease the tins well because they can be tricky to dislodge at the end.

Lemon Friands
185g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plain flour
1 1/2 cups icing sugar (plus extra for dusting)
1 cup almond meal
6 egg whites
2 tsp lemon zest
extra icing sugar and shredded lemon rind for decoration

Preheat oven to 180º.  Grease a 12 hole muffin pan (or friand pan if you have one). Sift flour and sugar into a bowl and stir in the almond meal, lemon rind and melted butter.
Place egg whites in a separate small bowl and beat with a fork until frothy.  Fold egg whites into almond mix until just combined - don't overmix. 
Fill each muffin hole until 2/3 full.
Bake for 20-25 mins until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
Remove from oven and leave in pan for 5 mins.  Turn onto a wire rack and when cool dust with extra icing sugar and lemon rind.

1 comment:

  1. So glad I found your blog :D

    What's growing in your garden now is amazing!! It's frigid and white with snow here (Toronto, Canada). Also, the picture of you is lovely, your hair is amazing! (Curly haired people uniteeee)

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails