Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Five Things I Love About Silverbeet...

  1. It's EASY to grow.
  2. It grows all year round.
  3. You can pick a few leaves from the outside whenever you want and it'll keep growing.
  4. It's nutritious and high in iron.
  5. My kids will eat it when I chop it up finely and disguise it in their pasta sauces and fried rice!

A Couple of 10 Minute, Low Fat Meal Ideas Using Silverbeet

Hot Veggie Breakfast
1.  Hot Veggie Breakfast
This is a regular breakfast for me and keeps me full all morning.  Chop up a tomato, a couple of mushrooms, a leaf or two of silverbeet and cook it in a non stick fry pan with a touch of cooking spray.  In the same pan, fry up an egg and serve the lot on two pieces of toast.

2.  Veggie Toastie 
Finely chop some silverbeet along with some other finely chopped veggies or herbs of your choice eg spring onions, mushrooms, grated carrot, parsley etc.  Combine with crumbled feta.  Spread mixture on half of a flat bread.  Fold the other half over and cook in a sandwich press.

Noodle Broth
3. Noodle Broth
Saute some chopped veggies in veggie stock.  I used mushrooms, tomato, grated zucchini, broccoli, green beans.  At the same time, boil up some noodles (I used 50g of soba noodles here).  Mix the lot together.  I sometimes also serve this with a tablespoon of pine nuts or sesame seeds.

1 comment:

  1. Your veggie meal looks delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails