Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Indoor Plants - Not Just Aesthetics


Until about a year ago I only had one indoor plant.   Then I went round to a friend's place who had a couple of plants in every room and I realised how lovely and homely her place was.  Since then I've popped a few in my living room, kitchen and bathroom.  But I was reminded by Sustainable Gardening Australia of the benefits of indoor plants in their recent newsletter article -  Breathe Easy Indoors - The Benefits of Indoor Plants.

This is really worth a read.  Recent University of Technology Sydney research has found that indoor plants in a closed space with no ventilation can completely remove VOCs (volatile organic compounds) within 24 hours. 

So, yesterday I purchased a couple of new plants and put them in the bedrooms.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember to remove them at night as they breathe oxygen in and carbon dioxide out. During the day they reverse back to carbon dioxide in oxygen out. This is why the nurses won't let patients have a lot of flowers in their rooms at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that Larissa. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails