Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Leeks



The trick apparently with leeks is to keep chopping the tops off so that they put more energy into root development.  My dad used to work in a veggie nursery and he told me this is what they did.  Also, to keep mounding up the soil around the base so you get lots of white.  They are very slow growing but don't require much attention and I haven't noticed any pests or had any problems with growing mine in the past couple of years.  They don't take up much space and you can plant them quite close together.  I harvested most of mine last night for a delicious recipe.  I'm learning that I haven't been planting nearly enough of anything.  It seemed like I was planting stacks of snow pea seeds but there's really only enough for a couple in a stir fry at any time.  And it's the same with everything else.  I'm going to up my production.  More of everything from now on!  

Anyway, this recipe from Stephanie Alexanders' Kitchen Garden Companion is really good - although littlest monkey refused to even try them.  He did however eat a veggie sausage that he has resisted sampling for several months so one step forward!


Leek Fritters
•  about 2 cups of the white parts of the leeks, chopped
•  1 tbs olive oil
•  1/2 tsp salt
•  1/3 cup water
•  2 eggs
•  1 tbs chopped parsley
•  1 tbs chopped basil, dill or mint
•  100g soft cheese, crumbled (eg feta or cream cheese)
•  1 tbs plain flour
•  Salt & pepper
•  Olive oil for pan-frying
Chop leeks float them in cold water swishing about to release any dirt.  Dry on a clean tea towel.  Heat olive oil in a saucepan.  Tip in leeks, salt and water.  Cook covered over low heat for 5-8 mins until well softened and water has been absorbed.  Leave to cool.
Lightly whisk egg yolks with herbs..  Stir egg/herb mixture and cheese into leek mixture.  Sift over flour and mix through.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Using a whisk or electric mixer, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form and fold into leek mixture with a metal spoon.  
Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium heat, brush with a little olive oil.  Fry tablespoons of leek mixture gently for 2 mins on each side.


8 comments:

  1. Aaaaah thats interesting. Mine are pathetic little stragglers so I will get out there tomorrow and give them a haircut. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it the same with lemon grass? We harvest the bottom part of the stem. I think I should give my lemon grass a hair cut too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea. My lemongrass completely died a few weeks after planting and I haven't been game to try again. Let me know how you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My lemongrass are doing very well actually. Occasionally I do give them hair cuts but I am not sure if it is for the better or worse.

    I've invited you to a game. Kindly check it out at http://onenezz.blogspot.com/2010/09/gardening-game.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi One,
    Thank you so much for inviting me to participate in your gardening game. It's a lovely idea. Unfortunately, this time I can't. We're about to go on holiday - to Broken Hill and we're very excited. I've never been there before but am so looking forward to it - middle of the desert! I'll look forward to seeing the results of your game.
    Thanks again for inviting me - I feel priviledged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I think I will try chop off my leeks leaves so they concentrate more on roots. I live in Adelaide and my lemon grass survive through winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what I did wrong with my lemongrass. Maybe I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe (actually I have the book, but this was a nice reminder of a good leek recipe)
    i've just finished making them - delicious1

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails