Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Spring Finally?

Fig tree coming to life
We had one beautiful Spring day this week.  Sunny, blue skies top of 17.  Finally!  The rest of the week was back to gloom, cold and showery.  I shouldn't complain but this feels like the longest, coldest winter we've had.  I'm hanging out for blue skies.  Anyway, on the one nice day littlest monkey and I ate lunch outside.  He did some drawing while I pulled up a few weeds and Monkey Man was persuaded to dig up more bamboo!

My favourite flowers - irises are in bloom and brightening up the garden.
Plum tree in blossom


























I got excited about Spring and have started growing some veg and herbs from seed indoors for the first time this year.  In the last couple of weeks I've had success with tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, silverbeet, coriander, basil, chives and continental parsley.  I've also tried some eggplant and capsicum but absolutely nothing has happened.  I'm not sure if they got too dry or I haven't waited long enough?  One lesson I've learnt is that you should write the dates along with the names of what the seeds are when you plant them.  
Tommy Toe

The potatoes, broad beans, snow peas, silverbeet, leek, garlic, lettuce and herbs are all still growing happily in the garden.  I popped some spring onions in a planter box and despite a couple of cheeky birds having a great time scratching around immediately after, they have also emerged.

And during the week I made these savoury mini pies for the little monkeys' dinner.  Figured that bite size pieces are more appealing than bigger ones for kids.  And I was right - they polished off 21 in one sitting!  I made the recipe up, using some chives and silverbeet from the garden and ingredients from the kitchen -  just substitute with whatever you've got growing.  My mixture made 24 mini pies and 3 ordinary sized ones. 
Here's what I did...

Savoury Mini Pies
1 small onion, chopped very finely
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 silverbeet leaves, finely chopped
cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
6 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbs wholemeal SR flour
2 tbs pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup tasty cheese, grated
1 tbs chives, finely chopped
1 tbs olive oil
oil spray for lining muffin tray

Cook the onion in the olive oil until soft, add the garlic and cook for about another minute.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs.  Mix in the flour until there are no lumps.  Mix in all the other vegetables and herbs except tomatoes.  Spray a mini muffin tray with oil and spoon in the mixture.  Push a cherry tomato cut side up so that it sits flat into each.  Cook in a moderate oven until golden and a skewer comes out clean (10-15 minutes).

5 comments:

  1. That photo on the fig tree coming to life looks stunning with blue sky as the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it looks pretty good - and it was a lovely day but we've had nothing but grey skies ever since. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cold and miserable here in Brisbane too at the moment but the rain is great for the garden. I might try those mini pies for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog you've got. Love the recipes and will be trying a couple. Your garden is an inspiration and has me wanting to get out into mine ... once it warms up a bit here in the Adelaide Hills. Thanks for sharing the copper strip idea - I wasn't aware that something like this was available and can't use pellets because of our dog, so this is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your lovely commments. That's really perked me up because I was just looking at my garden and feeling overwhelmed with mess. Monkey Man has been working on pulling out the bamboo and the roots are all sitting in an enormous pile in the middle of the garden and the grass has grown up around it and it's chaos! Good luck with your gardening.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails