Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Herbs

Dill growing in an old tin drum in our herb garden.
Before I started growing my own, I didn't often use herbs in my cooking.  Sure, I used dried herbs 'cos I have lots of them in the cupboard (a big disorganised mess of bottles in the pantry door and piled up on the shelf.  So messy that I often have trouble finding what I need.)  But fresh herbs are quite expensive to buy and if you get a bunch and don't use it all they go bad quickly.  Nothing better than having a herb garden at the back door.   And herbs don't just add colour and flavour to your meals - they're healthy.

NutriNic says: "Instead of adding salt or fat when cooking,  add flavour with herbs and spices.  Many herbs contain antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.  Gram for gram, parsley has twice as much vitamin C as an orange.  Remember though we usually eat smaller amounts of parsley compared to an orange.  Incorporating plenty of fresh herbs in your cooking will help give your meals an added nutritional boost."


Now I successfully sneak herbs into the kids' meals often.  Although, if I don't chop them finely enough, Littlest Monkey will often pick off the green bits.

Some herbs I'm yet to have any success with - coriander (which I do love but always manage to kill).  And some like mint and sage and thyme are just always growing happily in my garden despite being neglected most of the time.

So this week I made a quick and simple recipe using herbs.   I used chives and parsley because I've got lots of these growing at the moment and I think they go nicely with egg but other herbs could work just as well I think.

Herb & Goats Cheese Omelette
  • 4 eggs
  • milk
  • oil for cooking
  • chopped chives and parsley
  • goats cheese
  • salt & pepper
Beat eggs with a splash of milk in a bowl.  Add the chives saving some for garnish.  Heat oil in a frypan and add egg and chive mixture.  Cook omelette on one side then turn.  While the other side is cooking, crumble over goats cheese and the rest of chopped chives along with chopped parsley.  Season with salt and pepper.  Tastes good accompanied with a tomato salad.   My kids weren't too keen on the goats cheese I think next time I'll use cream cheese for them.

4 comments:

  1. mmmm that looks very tasty and I agree that herbs out of the garden are so tasty. There is a tropical kind of coriander called sawtooth coriander that you might have more success with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! Great advice from your sis. I have bought some dill seeds recently. On a journey towards a healthier lifestyle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty photo of your dill! I haven't had much success with dill, though it may be my favorite herb of all. Rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage, and lemon balm are doing well in my garden now. I usually have great success with basil that I start from seed each year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. Nothing beats being able to duck out and pick fresh herbs half way through a recipe.
    Here, I find coriander is quick growing but has quite a short life span. Can go to seed very quickly. I let it, then shake the seeds over a bare patch in the garden and it replaces itself. Might work for you. Saves having to keep buying seed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails