Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

'taters

For the past week every morning when I'd go out to inspect my garden I noticed the straw on my potato pile knocked off and potatoes lying exposed to the light.  The first time it happened I thought one of the little monkeys had been mucking about in the potato patch.  But I asked them and they didn't know what I was talking about.  Monkey Man said he had nothing to do with it either.  This was getting annoying because I know potatoes that are exposed to light can go green and green on potatoes are poison.  This is the first time I've grown potatoes and it's been very easy - but I know they're not all ready.  There's still some green foilage happening and I need to wait 'til this dies down before all the potatoes are ready. 

Well the other day I was sitting out enjoying the sun with a cup of tea and I noticed a bird flitting about - always with a worm or something hanging out of its mouth.  All day long this bird whizzed from my veggie patch or potato patch and back to a tree near the back window.  And then I realised why.  A nest and three hungry little beaks to feed.  The potato patch must have been a very good restaurant for that little bird family.  So I've picked out the big potatoes and once again covered the rest up to hopefully grow some more and am enjoying the sounds of baby birds being fed. 
This will be the first time I've tasted potatoes fresh, straight from the garden.  I do love roast potatoes but today we're heading for a top temperature of 40ÂșC so turning the oven on is not a good idea. Instead I decided to make potato salad.  When I was peeling the potatoes I noticed some of them had in fact turned green in places so I had to ditch them.  I had a few from the market already in the cupboard so used a combination of fresh and market potatoes and here's what I discovered. Fresh potatoes aren't soft when you cut them.  They sound and feel crunchy like you are cutting celery.  Can't wait to taste this potato salad.  I didn't measure anything out you really just use your instinct - can't go wrong.

Potato Salad
potatoes
mayonnaise
chives
salt & pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.  Peel and chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces.  Cook the potatoes until just soft but still holding shape.  Allow to cool in a colander.  Dress with mayonnaise, salt, pepper and chopped chives.

9 comments:

  1. Was that an invitation for lunch I heard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ijust love home grown potatoes and yours look so good, I grow mine in an old metal dustbin and as the foliage grows I keep topping up the soil. When the bin is full I wait for the green to die down and then just tip the whole bin upside down and harvest the spuds. I find the birds don't touch them this way but how could you not like a little nest full of babies like in your pic. They are so sweet. Thank you for your comments on my blog vegegobbler x jeanette ps I love your blog, I'll be back

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Ive never been able to grow potatoes well. I tried a car tyre stack once but it ended up becoming an ant nest!!! Id love to try adain though. Got any tips or tricks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phoebe, I grew mine in a chicken wire hoop and kept piling straw on top but I think I'll try Jeanetteann's metal bin idea next time. Hazel we had them for lunch as part of a feast with relatives and there's still leftovers for dinner - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your potatoes look good... they must have tasted very good... happy gardening and happy new year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking potatoes you have there. It's good to be able to spread the harvest a bit like you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, nice looking potatoes VG. What did you think of them fresh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Missy I think you're right we'll be ablet ot enjoy then again later. Ali, I've been in piggy glutton mode since a week before Christmas and can't seem to stop. So I had several servings of the potato salad. The potatoes were scrummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. VG as you ate all the potato salad before i could get there, I went out to my potato patch and bandicooted a few Kipfler potatoes. I just cut them into slices without peeling and made potato salad. It was wonderful. Thanks for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails