Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Here's What I Did with a Whopper.

So many fantastic suggestions for what to do with zucchini.  I didn't know where to start.  I've never been much excited by the idea of stuffed stuff but Pheobe and Mark both left recipes that I thought I might give a go.  And there were suggestions for muffins and bread and quiche and fritters and ratatouille and relish and soup... In the end Missy's baked zucchini recipe caught my eye.  She suggested I slice the zucchini thickly.  But I had the mandolin out and chose to ignore her.  I am in a mandolin frenzy.  I sliced my zucchini thinly taking care not to slice off my finger.  I also mandolin-sliced some tomatoes.  I must say, before all those warnings I had started rather confidently and quickly slicing with the mandolin and was even taking my eyes off my slicing to chat with the monkeys.  And I wasn't using the little guardy thingy!  But not anymore.  

So Missy suggests a baked zucchini with layers of zucchini and a breadcrumb herb mixture.  This sounded yummy but I knew I'd need to up the veg slightly to feel like a good mum and add cheese to satisfy the monkeys.  I cheated because I didn't use the monster, super-dooper, whopper zucchini described in my previous post.  I used the medium monster whopper zucchini that was also in the garden on holiday return.  I've still got the monster, super-dooper, whopper zucchini to try out one of those other suggestions if I'm game.  Here's my recipe below.  Thanks Missy for the idea and thanks Mark for your polenta post on Saturday which sparked the idea for the accompaniment.  Isn't this blogging business great around dinner time?

Baked Zucchini & Polenta Stack
For the Zucchini Bake:
•  zucchini, sliced (1 whopper)
•  tomato, sliced (2 medium)
•  bread crumbs (1.5 cups homemade)
•  mixed herbs to taste
•  cheese, grated (1.5 cups)
•  salt & pepper
•  olive oil

Grease a baking dish and make a layer with the zucchini slices.  Drizzle with a little olive oil.  Top this with a layer of tomato.  In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with some mixed herbs, salt, pepper and a little olive oil.  Layer this over the tomatoes.  Repeat with a layer of zucchini and top with the grated cheese.  Bake in a moderate oven until the cheese is golden.

For the Polenta:
Cook 1/2 cup polenta in a saucepan following manufacturer's instructions.  When cooked, smooth it into a greased pan and allow it to cool in the fridge.  When it is cool and firm, cut polenta into slices.  Heat some butter or oil in a frypan and cook the slices on both sides until golden.

Assemble as a stack with a slice of polenta topped with a slice of the baked zucchini.

8 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely scrumptious!! What a wonderful idea for the plethora of zucchini.
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really yummy. Definitely an improvement on plain old baked zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this was as good as it sounds. The best thing about having received so many recipe suggestions is that when (as it inevitably will) your zucchini plant produces a glut, you will never be short of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Positively droolable. I haven´t cooked with polenta in years!!!! I may just have to do this with some eggplants....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum im defently going to be trying that ...and as for polenta iv never tryed it but looking forward to it was only 12 months ago that we got up the courage to try cous cous and we love that the kids really enjoy it so im guessing they are going to love trying this ...thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful but when I fry the polenta it never goes brown and always falls apart. Do you use fine or coarser polents, veggiegobbler? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've used both Kate. I think the trick is to squash it into a tray and pop it in the fridge first for a while. Then it tend to stick together I think. The other thing you could try is baking it in the oven.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails