Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Yellow Zucchini

Zucchini Tri Colour
I have a zucchini bush that is massive and taking up a lot of space in it's patch.  It's been rewarding us with a nice green zucchini every so often but I was a bit disappointed.  I was expecting quite a bit more from such a big bush taking up so much space.  I wondered if there weren't enough pollinators about and contemplated giving it a premature composting to make way for the cucumber that's trying to grow beside it.  But the other day I ventured a look beneath it's prickly leaves up the other end where the first fruit came and I got a surprise.  Lots of little growing yellow zucchinis. Then I remembered that this was a seed from my Diggers pack called Zucchini Tri-Coloured Mix and I could expect green and yellow and white zucchinis.  Lovely.  

Now I just need to address the powdery mildew problem.  I think those milk washes can be effective but you have to be vigilant and I'm afraid I'm a bit lazy.  I did read somewhere that a dose of liquid seaweed watered all over the leaves might work and that sounds like something I could manage.  We'll see how I go. 

Now I'm looking forward to lots of lovely multi coloured zucchinis meals.  

13 comments:

  1. I have been growing zucchs from the same diggers mix and I've been so happy! The yellow are really tasty and I also got a whole lot of lebanese zucchs too.
    Im pulling out mine though because I have complete death due to powdery mildew. Its interesting to know that you are experiencing it at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Veggiegobbler, I really like the idea of tricolour zucchini, it will be interesting to see if one colour performs better than the others. I had plain yellow ones last year, huge big bush just like you said, but mine were pretty disappointing. I'll try some more this year and if they don't do well I might give up.

    Mine had lots of mildew too and I tried chamomile tea, but got lazy after a while and just let them go. When they are big getting all the leaves is a massive mission, and if you have more than one plant it's an even bigger job!

    Have fun with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful a colourful harvest of zucchini. I never heard about this before very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the idea of multi-coloured zucchinis if I can grow them in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww they're so sweet at that teeny tiny stage! My first yellow zucchini are almost ready to harvest... I can't wait to see how they look cooked up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have found that although the powdery mildew can be unsightly, it tends not to significantly reduce the fruit yield. Do you find this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Mark: Powdery mildew compromises the overall health and viability of the plant and is contagious, so if one thing in the garden has it, so will others. Its best to treat in the early stages but if over 60% leaves are covered the plant is no longer viable and should be removed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you can conquer the mildew. Tri-colour zucchini would be too good to miss out on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes everyone, the little yellow ones look v cute. I was thinking they'd taste pretty much the same so Phoebe it's interesting to hear they're extra tasty. It seems that I'm getting more yellow than the green. Weird how it works. I'm no expert Mark but I have heard what Phoebe said - that the mildew can affect the production. It isn't affecting mine much at the moment though and I've been v lazy as usual just doing the seaweed thing occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photo! Your zucchinis look great, powdery mildew aside. I am going to have to stop being so lazy about that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab picture! I have two yellow zucchs growing outside and they both were first to harvest and are mores generous than the green variety.

    I've used a spray of 10% milk to water with a tsp of bicarb to control mildew on peas...maybe it might help your zucchinis? This weather hasn't been helping much though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always considered zucchini easy to grow and a summer veggie patch stalwart. However this year they have been dismal ... mine just haven't been setting fruit. They have had wonderful foliage growth and no powdery mildew. Just now I am getting some. Next year, I am going to have a go at Digger's tri-colour. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a hard time with our zucchini also this summer. Then they came fast and furious. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails