Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hope Grows - Brussell Sprouts

Brussell Sprout Seedlings
I was reading Sweet Bean's blog and she's got a little thingy going (all you real experienced bloggers probably know the word 'meme' but I'm still new at this business so I'll call it a thingy) where you post at the start of the month about a garden project you're hoping to have happening for the following month. And then the next month you show everyone what's happened. She's calling it 'Hope Grows'. So I thought I might jump on board that one 'cos any motivation in the form of forced reporting back and potential public humiliation is bound to be helpful to me. I was raised Catholic - need I say more?

My last post was about the brassicas I'm planning on planting. Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions about how to deter the dreadful cabbage moth. Since that post last week I've done absolutely nought to prepare for them. In fact, I've been watching each morning as the teeny seedlings I've managed to grow near the upstairs window have progressively gotten a little bit droopier and a little bit leggier. And I've been reprimanding myself (See! More Catholic hangovers - self-flagellation, guilt) for not popping them into bigger pots or hardening them off and putting them in the veg patch or doing something with them. 

Amongst the broccoli (love), cauliflower (use every week) and kale (never tried but know I'll like), I've also managed brussell sprouts.  Now I can hear you all over blogworld "oh yucking". Who likes brussell sprouts, I hear you say.  Are you demented, your monkeys won't eat brussell sprouts! Truth is I have no idea why I chose a packet of brussell sprout seeds. It could be that I was on a Diggers seed buying frenzy and purchasing online is still a novelty to me and so I popped it in the basket with other goodies without thinking about it too deeply. Could be I was deluding myself that I'd concoct some delicious, nutritious brussell sprouty meal that would have myself and my monkeys salivating. The fact is I'm not that keen on brussell sprouts. I don't loathe them like some I know, but I've not cooked much with them and have rarely bought them. I've never fed them to the little monkeys and Monkey Man does not like them but will eat them. Because for him food is fuel.
So, my hope for the month is to grow some brussell sprouts. Without the cabbage moths getting to them. And then to cook them up in some sort of meal that the little monkeys like. Perhaps I'm hoping for too much. Well the cooking bit is certainly optimistic because I know it'll take more than a month to grow a brussell sprout - I'll make that my hope for the following month. Or will it take longer? Not sure. OK so following the growing bit, my hope is that some time over autumn or winter I will make a meal with at least one brussell sprout in it that my monkeys will eat...without too much whining.

13 comments:

  1. Did you know that some people have an enzyme in their saliva that makes brussel sprouts taste bitter...I have it...yu u u k!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those seedlings of yours look very leggy - I advise giving them more light (if this is possible. I know it may not be.)

    For me the key to nice Brussels Sprouts is cooking them to the correct level of "done-ness". Underdone they are crunchy and bitter. Overdone they are slimy and sulphurous. So until you are confident with cooking them, hover over the pan as they cook and keep testing them. If a sharp knife slides in easily with little resistance, they should be ready - test one to see.
    Brussels Sprouts are also quite nice shredded finely and stir-fried with garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love brussel sprouts! My Dad grew great crops of them, but I think they like the cold (I grew up in teh UK) Have you tried cavalo nero (tuscan kale) it's great. I've still got a plant going strong that I planted a year ago. Happy to send you some seeds if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hazel I had no idea! There I was just thinking you sprouts-haters were just fussy. Mark thanks for all the advice. The seedlings are leggy and I can find them more light - I've just been lazy! I'll try the garlic stir fry if I manage to grow any. Thanks funkbunny that's very generous of you. The seeds I've grown are cavalo nero - can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I've never tried brussel sprouts before! I'll have to watchyour blog and see what your verdict is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I notice you are using the same little seed raising beds I am using, I planted beetroot seeds but only 3 germinated out of 13, so I have replanted them with spinach seeds which havn't germinated in the ground. I think the seeds I have bought must be dead and they are fotheringills from the nursery tooso not cheap. On the sprouts subject, we love them but I always either chop them up and stir fry them or steam them and put them through the blender with some cream and salt and pepper, delish. I read once that boiling sprouts like our mothers and grandmothers did releases that awful strong bitter taste noone likes and besides they were always full of water when you bit into them.yuk.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post reminds me about brussell sprout seeds still in packet... a giveaway from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I've just sown my brussel sprout seeds over the weekend! I love to eat them baked with a crunchy breadcrumb topping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. brussels sprouts! something alien to this part of the world, but as is googled the images, its a nice beautiful plant. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Luck with the brussel sprouts! Thank you for your prayers for my son recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, glad to read that Rayyan is recovering. Manisha I didn't know you didn't get brussell sprouts in India - some would say you're not missing anything! Kat, the breadcrumbs topping sounds good - I wonder if my monkeys would try it? Bangchik glad I reminded you! Jeannettann, the coir seed pot thingies are good aren't they? I've heard about the steaming thing too. Won't do it. Hanni, I hope I'll have some success and then you'll have to give them a go too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm growing brussel sprouts for the first time this year. Excited!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a brussel sprout lover myself as is my family, one of my favorite ways to fix them is to roast them in the oven. They get sweet and a bit nutty, my daughter will pick them up and eat them like candy that way. You just put a little oil on them, salt and pepper put them ina 420 oven for about 25mins turning once or twice so they dont get too dark.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails