Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Garden Art

I was feeling a bit arty-farty this morning.

My Littlest Monkey is quite arty-farty. He's always constructing things with feathers and glitter and stones. He reckons he's going to be an artist when he grows up. Or an inventor. What got me going today was the fact that I've dug up my summer veggies and there's a blank canvas happening in the patches. Everything's looking a bit bare so I thought I might start on some of the projects I'd been planning for a while.

First up I got out the glue gun and stuck some broken mirror and coloured stones onto an old bit of piping I found in the garden months ago. I've been using these stones with great success in my drama classes for magic spells and messages left from fairies, so I was a little hesitant about sticking them permanently in my patch but I can always get more from the $2 shop. This is what I came up with.
Now our garden is the messy sort. You may not be able to tell from my snaps because I'm careful about the angles and use close ups and avoid the weeds so that I can leave you with a false good impression. But trust me it's usually a mess. When some friends visit they tell me with no regard for my feelings that my garden looks much better in this blog than in real life! Given that it's the messy, overgrown type of garden I think it only appropriate that I use old bits that might be considered rubbish by some, as decorative items. So after the pipe-sticking, I picked up the monkeys' pile of outdoor toys and put them in their box. Amongst them were some old saucepans and lids that they'd been using in the sandpit. We no longer have a sandpit so I thought I'd hang the pots on the fence near my herbs. And I hung an old kettle from the lemon tree.
There's another project I have planned and that involves this old washing machine. It was hidden away down the side of the house but I persuaded Monkey Man to move it beside the pond a few weeks ago. It was heavy and he wasn't too impressed but I nagged enough and now it's in the right spot. I filled it with water and have plans to put a bunch of water plants in it. And then I think I'll attempt a mosaic on the outside.  What do you think? Oh, and if you look behind this washer you'll see that it's in one of the messiest parts of the garden. Perhaps making a feature of it will inspire me to clean up - or perhaps it will just distract the viewers eye to the sparkly mosaic bits instead of the messy rubbishy bits.

11 comments:

  1. Kill it! I am sure that is the same machine that squashed my dummy in my pyjama pocket when I was four and scarred me forever! I will have to have a little lay down now, this picture has upset me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear Hazel! Sorry about the trauma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents had two old washers like that, I'm wishing I'd kept one now as yours looks fabulous as a water feature. I also love the look of old banged up pots and pans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Hazel that is very funny, I almost get the same reaction when I come unexpectedly across garden gnomes. Scary. VG your art is fantatic! Love the pots and pans. And little monkey people can make 'music' with sticks...a drumkit most ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mosaic idea - can you hurry up and do it to inspire me he he! I have an old concrete laundry tub and thought I would like to do the same - it has been stuck at the 'thought' stage for a very long time

    ReplyDelete
  6. VG, I'll be honest: I don't like it. This sort of garden art is not my type of thing, though I recognise that different people like different things. I reckon the washing-machine will look good once it has a few plants trailing over it. Or you could even use it for growing cucumbers or melons or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some interesting things in your garden. I like your idea for the old washing machine and a mosaic is a good idea; the water plants sound good too. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the washing machine is quite fabulous... although after what it did to Hazel, I'm not so sure.

    I like a good mosaic, Hazel as a lovely one in her parterre... if you do one, would you include a tutorial? I think I asked Hazel to do that too, and she did, but I've forgotten now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the garden extras. It is always good to have things in your garden that do not need caring for to add interest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. I am hoping to be arty in the garden oneday when I have a garden to myself, without neighbours kids kicking their football in and then trespassing and putting their curious little mitts on things in my space. For now I admire each and every one of your creative efforts. I especially like the hanging pots, would be wonderful wind chime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails