Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Dirty Chook Bott

If you're reading this blog  over a nice cup of tea and a biscuit, I suggest you don't. 'Cos I'm about to chat to you about my chook's bottom and a big lump of stinky chook poo that had accumulated there.

Poor Puff. Or Fluff. I still can't tell them apart. She had been going about with a dirty bottom for a couple of days and I hadn't cleaned her up. But her bottom did look quite dirty. So I picked her up, wrapped her in an old towel, put on some gloves and took her inside to the laundry trough. And then I upended her to inspect the damage. Pooey! I wonder if this is common with silkies? I'd heard about a condition called pasty butt in young chicks but didn't think this affected older chickens. I did once own a chinchilla cat (are you seeing a pattern here with me and fluffy pets?) and she did sometimes need her rear end fluff trimmed. Mind you she used to sleep on my bed so you'd be wanting to keep her rear free in case any nasties were left on your pillow. Anyway, Fluff/Puff's bott was not a pretty sight. But luckily I'm quite the pet-bott-cleaning expert and luckily we have a very effective laundry hose. So I set to work cleaning her up and quickly managed to wash away most of the offending matter. But one spot seemed to be taking quite a while. And then I realised that I was directing the hose and swooshing away with my gloved hand on her skin not chook poo. Silkie chickens have black skin. I'd forgotten. Poor Fluff/Puff.

Once the washing torment was over I took her to the bathroom and gave her a blow dry. Which made us all laugh that I was turning the bathroom into a pampering silkie salon. But I didn't want her to catch a chill when she went back outside.

She didn't complain at all about the whole ordeal. In fact she sat still and gave a few little cluck clucks as per usual. But I was feeling a little worried and guilty that I ought to have cleaned her up earlier and that maybe it was a sign of illness or maybe I'd have to make this a regular routine. So I googled about a bit and discovered some disturbing things about humans.
www.indoorducks.com

Look! You can buy shoes for your indoor pet chooks so they won't slip about on your polished floor boards. They even supply shoes especially designed for silkies (silkies you know apart from the fluff that sets them apart, have an extra toe).





www.indoorducks.com
And look, some people make nappies for their chickens so they can wander about inside and instead of making a mess on your floor, make a mess on their own botts. This one is designed for a duck and comes in a range of bright spandexy colours.









And lastly, look! Famous people have poor pet silkies that they keep alone, dress up and carry about as accessories!
Oh dear. Now I know my chooks are a bit spoilt - and one of them just enjoyed a blow dry ... but really!

9 comments:

  1. I think this is because silkies dont tend to sit on a roost off the ground. Mine used to camp on the ground...this is just my experience, I could be wrong though. Not sure what the solution is, maybe something on the hen house floor to prevent it.

    Good Luck,

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord they are wearing the same outfit.

    My silkie doesn't get a yuck bott, and lucky for her because babies' bottoms are the only ones I am ever going near. My own babies too.

    I would blather on more of what I know about chickens but clearly, I know nothing.

    They really are wearing the same outfit there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, that is tori spelling. she has the most unusual and ugly decollatage (is that right...you know cleavage) maybe the chook is to draw attendion away from that. and just think she is the mother of children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I didn't know Tori Spelling was a fellow silkie fancier.

    just found your blog - great stuff! it's good to find another beginner gardener :)

    Cheers,

    Alecia
    www.tchotchkesetc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that just confirms my decision: I'm sticking to being a veg gardener, not a chicken-raiser! I find the chicken nappy thing almost unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to have a giggle at your poor little silkie! Come breeding season our Pekins have an area around their feathery butts clipped to increase the success rate for fertilized eggs. It also serves to keep their tushies a little cleaner as well. Ah, the things we do for our chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! and it was such a good post too. It made me laugh again, reading it for a second time. I love the photo of Tori Spelling...I think she is carrying the silky to draw our eyes away from her unfortunate plastic surgery. Just imagine, she is somebody's (2 I think) mother. I saw some chooks on another blog with saddles to stop the randy rooster from hurting their backs when he feeling in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you learn something everyday! Nappies for chooks and ducks....kind of weird, but funny too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails