Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

One Green Capsicum

I attempted to grow a few capsicum plants over summer and was quite unsuccessful. Only two survived. Of those two, only one grew a capsicum. One green capsicum. I allowed that green capsicum to grow to a reasonable size and then I let it hang on the bush. For weeks. It's now getting close to the end of Autumn and getting colder here in Melbourne. I was waiting for that green capsicum to change colour to red but it never did. Last week I was having a little looksie at it and the whole branch twisted off in my hand. So then I thought I'd have a go at sitting it on my windowsill in the hope that some sun might turn it red. But it hasn't. I hate green capsicum.

According to my sister the nutritionist, capsicum is an excellent source of vitamin C. She also tells me that red capsicum has nearly twice the amount of vitamin C compared to green capsicum.  Another reason to hate green capsicum I reckon.  If you have to endure the taste of a green capsicum you want to know that it's better for you - but it's not!

How come roasted red capsicums are so delicious and I can think of a bezillion things to do with them  but not one thing appeals when it comes to its green counterpart?  I've checked out my Stephanie Alexander kitchen garden bible and of course she has quite a few yummy offerings by way of red but nothing green.  I have a whopper Indian cookbook and there are a few curry recipes there but they require more than one green capsicum and I am definitely not buying another.  Besides, I doubt a green capsicum curry would taste good. I could chop it up and chuck it in a fried rice and serve it to the monkeys.  But I'll bet both the little monkeys would pick out every bit of green. They don't like green capsicum either.

So what to do with this one green capsicum before it withers and gets fed to the worms? Your suggestions greatly appreciated (although possibly I will turn my nose up at most of them!).

NutriNic says:  "Capsicum is a good source of flavonoids which are antioxidants found in most fruit and vegetables. They help prevent oxidation in the tissues and mop up free radicals. Capsicum is also an excellent source of vitamin C, red capsicum has nearly twice the amount of vitamin C than green capsicum, green capsicum contains more vitamin C than  oranges."




Oh, and just for your information, NutriNic is not a fan of capsicum either - red or green.
The two surviving capsicum plants

15 comments:

  1. Sorry VG, I have no recipe to offer! I dislike Capsicums of all colours because they create mayhem with my digestion. Maybe next time you should grow chillis instead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have grown capsicum off and on for years here in vic and qld and they always done well in Qld outdoors but i have not had them do well outdoors here in vic..they do wonderfully in the greenhouse here thou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add it to Pizza where it will be lost among other tastes, dice into spag bol or into taco mix. I like it so there are loads of things I would put it in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha so funny i love red ones better ....BUT green is nice on home made pizza well i think so anyhow ...does that make me weird i also dont mind them stuffed ...or ya could give it to a neighbour ;-o lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just hide it in something. I had a similar experience with my capsicums this year. i don't think I planted them in a sunny enough spot...I did get a couple of small red ones and some green ones. But nothing to brag about. I think I used the green ones cut finely in a stir fry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the yellow ones. But I don't mind red or green ones. It is just not the capsicum year for us this year too. I think summer was cooler than previous years. Last year, we had a decent harvest of it. But this year, it takes forever for it to ripen. I have been waiting for more than a month for our capsicum to turn red/yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slice off the cheeks and pop them under the grill until they blacken then pop into a freezer bag until they cool down then the blackened flesh just peels of easily and you are left with beautiful grilled capsicums. Pop them on a pizza, into a spag sauce, into a quiche or maybe muffins with fetta and black olives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nah, just chuck it to the chooks if you hate it...lol..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, they probably wont eat it either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark capsicums give you digestion problems but chillis don't? I have some chillis growing quite successfully surprisingly! Just read your informative post on your pot chillis.
    Yes MK girl and Joyfulhomemaker I wonder if our summer just wasn't warm enough this year. I had bad luck with them last year too.
    Fiona and POFM pizza is not such a bad idea. My monkeys like pizza but they would pick them off I reckon.
    Enchanted Moments I've already tried the chooks with red capsicum and it sat there for weeks for the mice. I have fussy chooks too.
    I might be persuaded by Daffodil's roasting idea - capsicum (red) is delicious roasted and then in muffins or as Hazel also suggested spag bol. You know I think that'll work.
    Thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who despises green capsicums but enjoys red ones. It seems silly since they are basically the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate green ones too and none of mine went red either. I think I will use the space for something else next spring and just buy the odd red capsicum when I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ick I hate green capsicum too but I love the red, orange and yellow! I say give it to the chooks...or roast and peel and stick in a pasta sauce so you can't tell it's there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must live in a parallel vegetable universe - don't they all taste the same??? Send it my way - I love them all! And look how big it is you cheeky thing, mine don't seem to get past thumb and finger circle size... but they do change colour :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi our family love all colour capsicums. we grew some last year (over NZ summer, October to March) and altho i started off with 4 plants, 2 died. The 2 surviving plants gave us soooo many capsicums we were lucky we only had 2 plants! only one capsicum turned red: a throw back we think - we certainly left them on the plant long enough to turn red but they stayed green. They were in a very sunny spot and we watered them every second evening if necessary. ours were just as big as the ones in the shops. we froze heaps (to add flavour to casseroles etc during the winter). You may have to buy 'Red' capsicum plants at plant shop to get red ones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails