Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Lots of Eggs

Who said silkies were bad layers and produced teeny, tiny eggs and were really just ornamental, fuzzy pets?  My silkies are all now laying. It's true the first egg I discovered was a weeny one but they're now all about 5cm long which is a fine size for me. And unlike some blogging friends whose chickens have stopped laying over winter, mine are still going strong.  I'm usually getting four eggs a day from the five chooks.  Golden Girl laid for a couple of weeks and then went broody.  Apparently, this is very common for silkies. I am a bit worried that she will wither away to nothing. She just sits in the nesting box all day and night. So a couple of times a day I pick her up and prop her in front of the feeder. She has a bit of a peck about and then goes back to her empty nest. Poor thing.

Even though it's winter (yay, enthusiastic clapping and smiling through gritted teeth), I'm rugging up and occasionally sitting out the back just to watch their antics. They're very tame now. They come running when they see me and squat, bellies on the ground to get a pat. I know it's because they love me - not because I come bearing edible treats.

Littlest Monkey has the job of locking them up at the end of the day. Last night they must have been having a late night peck round the back of the trampoline because they accidentally got locked out of their coop all night. They were pretty cranky this morning when I opened the door to let them in. They clucked at me crossly and went running to their feed tray. Except Golden Girl - who had been sitting warm and I presume happy in her nest all night.

So I thought today I'd share a recipe I made with some of the eggs I've collected. A simple Sunday night dinner - Spanish omelette. It was happily consumed by two of the biggest Monkeys but Littlest Monkey unfortunately went on strike when he sighted the dinner offerings. Unluckily for him I can be rather stubborn myself and I refused to provide him with anything else. So he went to bed on a cup of milk.

Potato Omelette
• 9 small eggs, beaten
• 3 potatoes, cubed
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/2 red capsicum, chopped finely
• 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
• chopped parsley for garnish

In an ovenproof frypan, cook the onion, garlic and potato in the oil on a moderate heat until golden. Add the capsicum and the beaten eggs. Gently sliding the veggies about until the egg mixture gets to the bottom of the pan. Pop on the lid, turn the heat to very low and cook until firm. Sprinkle the grated parmesan on top and put under the grill. Cook until golden and firm on top. Sprinkle with the parsley.

16 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking to your guns about dinner. Too many people seem to coddle their children by cooking more than one meal at every meal time to accommodate pickiness.

    Have you thought about getting some fertile eggs for your broody hen to lay on? Or are your winter's too cold there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, cup of milk dinners have happened here too...not interested in fussy eaters here any more...eat it, or dont eat it....your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milk? Yuk. I'd much rather have an omelette! I'd serve it with some home-grown salad, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful to have your own eggs, and your chucks look really stylish! It is possible that those fluffy feathers keeps them warm and make them lay eggs for longer???

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. My chickens are picking up in the laying stakes too after a short break. I think that giving them warm mash helps and making sure they get plenty of protein. Don't stress about your broody hen not eating they will get off the nest if they are really desperate, but it is better to keep doing what you are doing as disturbing them to try and make them eat will also help break the broody cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Silkies are saving my bacon at the moment, Hubby usually makes axe sharpening threats at this time of the year but three of the Silkies are pumping them out almost daily. All the other chooks are having their winter holiday.

    If I have broodies and I don't want to give them fertile eggs I put them in a sin bin with a wire floor so they can't get comfortable. Usually they give up within a few days, sometimes a bit longer.

    I love Spanish omelettes, I had one tonight with some home grown baby spuds and baby carrots plus few other random things. So quick, easy and almost free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very delicious omelette you made. My sister got a silkie couple for her birthday when she was little. They had so many children. So it was surprising to me that people think they lay few eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwwww they are wonderful chooks! We have only one silkie left now and she is a great layer. Even in Winter!
    To break the chooks out of broodiness, I place the broody hen in an elevated crate on her own. Theory is their body temperature reduces which helps them out of their broody state.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your dinner but my grandson wouldn't eat it. He is almost 2 and eats just about anything-except...eggs. They make him gag, lol.
    We have used our bantam eggs many times for many different things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad your chooks are laying so well, and yes I am sure they love you. Good for you not backing down on dinner - there are not enough young mums doing that these days. Sometimes as a grandma it is hard to not say anything when your dinner is not eaten and then something else is offered...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks John and Becky. Actually he likes eggs. He just refuses to eat some meals I make sometimes, especially when he's tired. I was actually allergic to eggs when I was a child. I remember my mum force feeding me an egg just to see if I still was. Vomited the lot up on her lap! Serves her right! (Sorry mum if you're reading).
    I wonder from everyone's responses if bantams lay more than your average sized chook over winter? Maybe the silkies' fuzzy fur is keeping them warmer. I have also been feeding them a bit of porridge occasionally - but only 'cos I'm reading everywhere else other people spoiling their chooks with warm mash and I wouldn't want mine feeling jealous when they hear about it.
    Thanks for your advice about broody chooks Mrs Bok, greenfumb and Fiona. For now I'll keep doing what I'm doing. K-Koira I don't think it's too cold but I don"t want any more chooks for the time being. Besides, from what I've heard silkies go broody a lot - I'd probably end up a poultry farm if I kept pandering to their cluckiness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are lucky to be getting eggs this time of year! Hope they keep providing for you all. Liking the look of your potato omlette too. I've made variations on this theme and it always seems well received by The Others. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Uh oh, please don't leave those Silkies out at night. They are so susceptible to being nabbed by predators because they don't fly well. I keep a pen of "mutt" chickens that have Silkie ancestors because the females are so good at brooding. I just tuck show bird eggs under them for 18 days, then bring them in to the incubator to hatch. At the end of the season they get to hatch a few of their own babies, and that keeps them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the look of your fancy chickens. And your potato omlette looks fab too! Yum! Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails