Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Garden Lunch

Armed with my scissors and basket I went for a wander through the garden in search of lunch today and this is what I picked.

Oh yeah, I'm as happy as can be with this change in the weather.

I was worried the broccoli was past it. I'd left it too late and little yellow flowers had appeared. It's the first time I've managed to grow broccoli and I was expecting it to look like the tight-headed stuff you buy at the market. But it doesn't. More like broccolini. Which is fine by me because it tasted good and nothing can make me grumpy today.

I'd also been told to try out the tips from the broad beans. So I chucked a few of these in my basket too. They are great. Even raw. There were a few silverbeet and spinach leaves, coriander, parsley a lemon and chilli.

Back in the kitchen I made a dressing with lemon juice and zest, chilli, olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped parsley and coriander. I cooked up some noodles, steamed the broccoli and lightly dry fried some flaked almonds and the silverbeet. Then I wacked it altogether with a couple of tomatoes.
And I ate it all in the sunshine under the blossoming plum tree. It is so true that food you grow and cook yourself tastes much better. Oh yeah, I was feeling pretty smug and happy. Because I am the temperamental type to allow the weather to dictate my mood.

This week there'll be a spring in my step no matter what. My sourdough today failed to rise much more than a bit of flatbread. No idea why - it's been working for me every other week. But today I don't care. Because the sky is blue and there are loads of bees buzzing about in the blossoming plum tree.
Even those rotten white cabbage moths that have re-emerged have failed to dampen my spirits. Because look! The one I caught today has been distracted by the flowers instead of going for the neighbouring cauliflower. Something has clearly been eating that leaf to the bottom right in my picture - but I couldn't care less.
I've even removed the countdown to spring in my sidebar. 'Cos as far as I'm concerned it's already here.



15 comments:

  1. YAY FOR SPRING! I wish I could have sat out in the sunshine today. I stared longingly out of the window of the office though. Your lunch looks sooooo yummy...I think I had a couple of chocoalte bars scoffed down hastily whilst talking quickly? Hrmmm. Doesn't quite compare does it!! My broccolini is full of flowers but as fast as I pick it, it grows, I like eating the flowers anyway. I've never eaten broadbeans tips, must give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow lunch in the sunshine fresh from the garden!!
    nothing like eating your own veggies,good luck with your spring plantings seems you will have plenty to plant from your polyhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunshine or no sunshine Miss Veggiegobbler....I hope you can manage a Winter Wednesday post for tomorrow...last one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very happy basket you have there :). For us, it is spring here too. Lovely lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice lunch! I have yet to find the perfect broccoli variety to grow - I wanted the broccolini type but managed to grow one that does resemble the supermarket variety (that will teach me for knicking seedlings from my father....) Green Dragon I think it was called - it was nice though. I have some purple sprouting broccoli coming which I am hoping will be a purple version of yours - it has just started to sprout so we shall soon see....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! the change in the weather and the advent of harvestable home-grown veg has evidently made a big change to your outlook on life! I empathise with this. Harvesting your own veg is just so satisfying. Did you grow the lemon??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at your fabulous produce! Yum O. I'll bet you are glad winter is over, you have a proper one down there, not like our namby pamby ones... although I still think I live in the coldest house in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, that is my kind of food! Love the blossom photo, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful blossoms and a delish looking lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something coming your way tomorrow. pop over to my blog when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, my, what a gorgeous dish! (jealous that you can grow lemons--how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Food taste better with homegrown veggies. While eating, I am sure the mind flicks through the days you germinate, transplanted, fertilisers, pests etc..... the sweet memories of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving Spring! Yes its raining today but it rains in Spring too! Your pickings look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you are emerging from your Winter cave just as I am here in South Africa. Blossoms are budding, grass is turning green again and the sun's rays actually have some heat in them!!! Spring is edging her way across my garden and I really hope she chooses to stay.... Happy Springtime. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am SOOOOO with you on the Spring thing! it feels like it is here .... it just puts a whole different spin on life! and i have to tell 'ya .... even the broccoli .... i cook it up even when the yellow flowers have started to emerge .... still tastes great and adds a bit of colour too! yup! bring on spring!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails