Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Teeniest Chook Egg Ever Laid in the Southern Hemisphere

This morning I went to collect my eggs as usual and look what I found! The teeniest tiniest egg ever. It is 2.5cm long and weighs 6g.

Now people warned me when I was considering getting silkies that they laid small eggs and I was a bit concerned that their eggs would be too small for my needs but they're not. They're generally cute sized 4cm long and 36g in weight. Their size depends on who is doing the laying. Either Puff or Fluff (can't tell them apart) lays whoppers - for a silkie. Indie is the smallest of the chooks and she lays smaller eggs. 

Now the egg is brown so I know it wasn't Puff or Fluff the white silkies. Golden Girl has been broody - again. So maybe it was her. She was down in the run squawking about with the others this morning which is a good sign. Perhaps she was boasting about her pebble egg. She's always prided herself on being a bit different from the others. Being Golden and bearded and all.

I immediately googled about for information on teeny chook eggs and apparently the smallest egg listed in the Guiness Book of Records is 2.7cm long. There is however some other fella from the US who just made the news last month with a 2.1cm egg from a normal sized chook. But I'm still pretty excited about this egg. I'm thinking that I might email my local papers who always seem to be interested in fluff news items. I could get famous with this egg and do some promoting for backyard chooks and sustainable gardening in the process. 

Hmm. Do I want to get famous for producing the teeniest chook egg in the southern hemisphere? I was once hoping my singing career would bring me fame. But I've given up on that one. Yep, I'm willing to lower my ambitions. 
Golden Girl are you responsible?






18 comments:

  1. That is certainly one very small. I remember reading somewhere about chooks laying 'fairy eggs' when their ovulation gets confused. Or maybe I'm just confused. Anyway. Perhaps we'll see you on Today Tonight soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh yes contact the paper. I have a chicken who insists on laying huge 80gm plus eggs every day... I am not sure that this is a good thing. Pehaps I will post about it and see if the blogging world has an answers....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so funny as I am getting fairy eggs from my wyandottes just now - really teeny. It's their first eggs ever. I adore them and hardly want to eat them! My smallest is 30g and 3.5cm. I was so excited when I found it!

    I had to delete my first post as I said the egg weighed 3g!! DOh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. argh! I can't read scales - it's 15g. jeez my brain is mush today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I got one of these...not as tiny or as special as yours, of course. I blew it and crocheted a tiny egg cup for it! I think you should contact the paper...any form or shameless publicity is OK in my book. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. ....oh and when you are really famous all of your blogging friends can say..."We knew her when....'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whats in it?! Yolk or white?! That would be a dream egg all yolk! mmmm.
    Yeah, go to the paper!
    My Melly is broody AGAIN too!! I'm buying her some chicks this weekend to try and get it out of her system!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, fairy eggs, my old girl Flo was laying them before she stopped...one even had the tiniest yolk inside!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so cute!you should definitely contact the papers - LOL! I also have one that lays 80g+ eggs almost every day. She is a huge black Langshan and apparently they do lay big eggs. My two Light Sussex seem to lay about 5 a week each and they consistently lay 62 and 66g respectively. Funny the differences isn't it? They're all little individuals - just like us!
    Greenie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, its adorable! For sure contact the papers, then share the news stories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why stop with the papers? Go for the Guiness Book of Records and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our chooks have laid fairy eggs before, not often though and mine have been so small that there was no yolk.

    Not sure why this happens from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo yes yes yes! You go for it media tart! That really is a very small egg, my very first silkie ones were not that small.

    You should start a competition among the blogging community. A running tally, smallest egg, largest egg, biggest pumpkin etc!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to disappoint you all. Read my latest post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahaha, here it is! It is super cute actually :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah I should have measured our little ones - we've had a few from our girls (standard hens) but I never thought to measure them. It was enough to compare them to the eggs and be amazed lol

    congrats?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one cute egg...I suggest blowing it and putting it in the china cabinet to show off to visitors. It is one of those things that if you find a dinner party conversation in a lull, you can pull it out and make up a story about the rare bird it comes from.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails