Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Celery - My New Number One

Silverbeet has recently been overtaken as my number one veggie in the patch. It's been surpassed by celery. How I'm loving the celery. I've never grown it before and I'd read that it's a bit tricky. It apparently needs a lot of water and sucks the nutrients from all around so nearby plants may not do too well. But I've surprised myself with a few bunches of celery grown from seed that are flourishing and have received not much attention from me. We've had so much rain over winter and spring so far, that water hasn't been a problem and the nearby garlic doesn't seem to have suffered either. And I'm just loving that I can cut a couple of stalks from the outside of the bunch and it'll keep growing.

I can never use all the celery when I buy a bunch from the market. And I often have a wilty and wobbly half bunch of celery sitting in the fridge at the end of the week. But not now.

I've been chopping it up and putting it in my lentil soups, I've whizzed it in the food processor with other veggies and made veggie patties for the kids and I've chopped it up with other veggies in a stir fry with rice.

Loving the celery.

13 comments:

  1. Me too VG! Its AMAZING! I was always put off growing it because of its supposed difficulty but WOW its so easy! And so much tastier than shop bought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good enough to eat yummy,crunchy. I heard a few years back that to keep the celery nice and pale, put and empty milk carton that has had the bottom cut out, over the seedling as it emerges. I don't know whether it's true, but worth a try, if you want it like that,but yours looks great. wish I had more room to grow it, maybe I should forgo some of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep Phoebe, it's been easy for me too. Jeanetteann, I've heard that as well but I'm too lazy and I don't mind green celery. I used to have your problem of not enough room for things but I've started seeing things with a new eye and suddenly have spots everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My celery has been great this year as well - rain does seem to help. Mine has just started bolting though which is annoying, although for once I actually prepared and sowed some new seed about 6 weeks ago .....I'll be interested to see if it does affect the size of your garlic bulbs - it did to mine last year (the closest ones were quite a bit smaller) but it might also be that I didn't feed it enough....do you get earwigs in you celery - I pulled off a couple of sticks today and found a whole family in there - not nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can smell wonderful fresh harvested celery stalk there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on your celery success.We had a fab crop of celery earlier in the year in our no dig bed, but it got some fungal disease so we puled it all out, salvaged most of the good stuff and put it in the freezer so we are still enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cutting the celery leaf-by-leaf certainly sounds sensible. Does it affect the plant's performance at all? Do you know the plant called "Par-Cel"?It sounds unlikely, but it is a cross between celery and parsley, and is used as a cut-and-come-again herb. I thought it might appeal to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh Mark that sounds interesting - I've never heard if it. It doesn't seem to affect the plant, same as perpetual spinach or silverbeet. Thanks greenbackyard and MK girl. Funkbunny I must remember the freezer! Liz I've also found an earwig or two... And snails. But the celery's still good. I'll have to see if my garlic is affected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been a good year for celery - the first year I tried to grow it as well. Mine doesn't seem to have affected any neighboring plants either. I have never thought of freezing it - I would think it would have to then be used in soups.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooooooooooooooooo I have to grow it again! Especially as Tim Tam loves it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I fill in all those little spare spots with bits and pieces too. Try finely dicing it and adding to a spinach and ricotta pie with lots of herbs. It really lifts the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love celery in the garden, I also don't like to buy it and look at it go soft in the fridge! I use the chopped leaves for soups and sauces, it is better to use the leaves, so that you can keep the crunchy stalks for salads and juices :-).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails