Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Well, although I haven't been blogging as much as I'd like, I have been busy as a bee both in the garden and in the house.
Look what we've been busy with - plaster, wardrobes and painting in the kids' room! It's a massive improvement from what it was. (That's a shadow on the wall not a mistake with our painting). And despite doing very well in my theatre design classes at uni, I realise that choosing paint colours for house walls is not my thing. It has completely done my head in over this last month. Nevertheless, I think it's turned out well. In fact it looks so beautiful I'm reluctant to relinquish the room to the Monkeys.

In the garden I have surprised myself in a frenzy of pulling and planting and planning following my de-grassing post. I have been checking out your blogs and ideas and taking your advice. I've started pulling up the grass and plan eventually to have mulch paths. Because I'm a wee bit lazy, I haven't taken your advice and done the job properly. Yet.

I know I ought to lay down layers of wet newspaper and then mulch on top but I don't have enough leaf mulch. So I'm just doing a start job for the time being.
New under the plum bed (see the two bean seedlings that weren't eaten by Beverly)
Under the plum tree I've pulled up the grass and have decided to put some big, roundish pavers in. When I find them. I also decided that I could make some more garden beds there. It gets filtered sunlight over summer so something will grow. I popped in some herbs - all self seeded from elsewhere. And in the bit of patch under there that gets more sunlight I popped in some beans. Which already started sprouting until Beverly escaped from my newly erected chook gate / veggie protector and gobbled and trampled most of them.

I made a new veggie-protector gate to keep the chooks out of the patches. No hammering or bolting required - just digging a bit of a hole and popping in some old crates that have been hanging around our junk pile for 9 years. Unfortunately, the slats are the perfect size for a sneaky silkie to squeeze through and help herself to fresh seedlings. So I need to do some more work on it.

I've been extending the current beds and imagining flowers and herbs and veggies in every spare spot. And instead of just umming and ahhing and wondering if it's the right place or if it'll get enough sun, I've just been popping things in - what's to lose. I've put potatoes under the slide - maybe they'll grow. I've mass planted chillies at the back of the chook shed. Pumpkins seeds have been put in pots at the base of the arbour as promised a while back. My table chook tunnel is gradually being filled with pots and herbs. I'm getting there.

But now I'd better get back to filling the new wardrobes and putting the toys back in the kids' bedroom. The best part of having finished the kids' room renovation is that there is somewhere else with a door in which to house Eldest Monkey Boy's new full size drumkit. It has been sitting in the middle of our living room for a month. And it makes a hell of a racquet when thumped by a mini maestro monkey boy.

13 comments:

  1. The garden is looking great! Extended beds are so exciting and full of potential!
    I put mulch straight down on the grass in my veggie garden too. It worked fine, and I just pulled up the bits that kept potting though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh you have been busy! Your garden is looking lovely - lots of great greens. I love that paint job too - what a perfect color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, a drum kit....you are brave.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy busy busy. Love the colour. Um, a cello and a piano and several guitars here, thankfully not a drum kit! Don't envy you that one.......x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boys' room looks fantastic. I love strong colours. ...and the garden! I am so loving the garden at the moment too...planting, planting, planting! I have even planted tomatoes...before Cup Day. Oooooo! I remember you beat me on this last year. I will do an update next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy VG! Gorgeous colour and your garden is looking very vibrant as well. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lookin good VG! Love your garden. And your chook pen. We are fencing ours in this weekend too, just chickien wire to start with until we can afford decent fencing. This flock are ruining my vegie beds, my old flock were much better behaved!! Looking forward to meeting you and swapping tips and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you have been busy! Sounds like your garden is now chock-full of good stuff. You won't regret it if you get rid of the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, everything looks great,love the colour of the boys room, looks like it will stand up to boy grime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden looks and sounds so much fun! I like your chook run very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the paint colour and love the chook fence/protector too!!! As for the drum kit, if we had one my boys would have to wait their turn as I'd be bashing out my frustrations all day long!!!!!!!!!!lol x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Naughty silky, she is very cute though. Yes, plant it all, I agree, "what's to lose?"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails