Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How Do Your Beans Grow

Wow beans are weird!

First mine wouldn't come up at all. So I planted more. Then a little bit of warm and wet weather and up they all came including the ones I'd first planted. And now they are growing like crazy.

Remember those beans I planted in the pots in front of my ferns? This is last week's photo...
 
Well check them out today. They are 58cm tall.

Because I've never grown beans before, I had visions of them making a huge vine and providing a lovely overhead canopy for the fernery over summer. But I realise I was dreaming - I don't think they'll reach the balcony. Doesn't matter.

I've been trying for weeks to get some beans to grow up my tree stump arbour in some pots. But every time I see life, it disappears overnight. And then I plant more and they disappear again. There are a lot of snails in my garden. Which I discovered the other night when Wokee decided she didn't want to do her business in her dedicated business spot and went for a nocturnal wander. While I was following her I saw and felt and heard an absolute mass of snails on the long march to my veggie patch. I had great pleasure in stomping on the lot of them.

Not to thump myself on the back too much but just letting you know that I risked life and limb this morning getting these shots. I knew you wouldn't be impressed with my fuzzy bean photo so I went out with my measuring tape during a thunder storm. Just to prove that they've grown a lot. And because I am such a dedicated blogger, I risked being struck by lightning and got pelted with heavy raindrops to find a snail and take a snap for your amusement. Just saying!





11 comments:

  1. This is why I love blogging, reading blogs from around the world and experiencing the growing season year round!! We are coming into a yucky winter, but your green little shoots have put a smile in my heart!! Good luck with the beans and hope those pesky snails feast else where. Looking forward to getting back into blogging after my 3mth hiatus. Cheers Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may be surprised how tall the beans grow. Depending on type of course, they could easily reach 10 or 12 feet. In the past I have had Runner beans that insisted on climbing into my trees. I think their eventual height is constrained largely by the type of support mechanism you provide. BTW: The snail photo is good, even though the subject is unattractive. Not much problem getting the subject to sit still while you took his picture, I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Euwww! That snail is fabulously photographed, but really quite gross... I agree with Mark that beans grow TALL! And amazingly fast, I was surprised too. Although I do now know where the inspiration for Jack and the beanstalk came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our beans reached up & starting growing in the apricot tree last year!

    Fresh green beans are awesome... one of my favourite vegetables (and I LOVE vegetables)! My Purple King Beans were first to start this year, the Rattlesnake Beans a little slower, the Scarlet Runner have not grown at all despite several plantings (maybe a dud pack) and the Soy Beans are finally germinating & getting going. The Dwarf Beans are doing well. I didn't plant the Adzuki this year, figured I had enough variety! (Maybe I will throw some in somewhere!!)

    Good luck with the beans... great snail photo, you can have some danger pay for getting that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snail pic VG! Well worth the lightning risk! The beans are looking great! They do seem to love the early summerish weather. I always find that late in summer mine get killed by red spider mite... I haven't ever managed to stop it. I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was my first time growing beans this and they grow really fast and have covered the trellis I built for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Mark - don't give up on your beans just yet - my lazy housewifes are about to take over the world! If you don't hear from me, I may have been strangled by them because I stood still for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep the beans are going mad at the moment,mine have been the same, now climbing up the frame hubby made and back down again,because they reached the top. x :o) j

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just put beans in and waiting impatiently for them to poke their noses through. Snails are my worst nightmare but I am very giving ..this year I have given away more than 100 flights, short destination trips only.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before you know it you'll be able to climb up those beans to the castle in the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you need are beer traps. Take a 1 litre yoghurt pot. Half fill it with regular beer (or lager) - don't pinch this from your husband's supply tho! Bury the yoghurt pot into the ground near or among your veg so that the lip of the pot is at soil level. You'll probably need more than one. Leave it overnight then check out your pot FILLED with snails the following morning! They LOVE the smell of beer, head towards it then fall in and drown. Could be construed as being cruel but most men would think "What a way to go!" GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails