Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

The Melbourne Bloggers Met

Yesterday I met a few bloggers at the Digger's Spring Festival in Heronswood. I'm sure I wasn't the only one feeling a tad nervous beforehand. What if they only seemed nice on the screen? What if they didn't recognise me by the ridiculous yellow tiger I'd pinned to my frock and I had to walk around all day wearing it? What if they thought I was a tosser? Anyway, I needn't have worried because everyone was lovely and kinda just like I imagined.

Mrs Bok organised the do and she had the uncanny knack of being able to spot everyone within the first three minutes. Even those who hadn't posted pics of themselves on their blogs. She was as chirpy and lovely as you'd expect and she quickly offered us all a sample of her vegemite chips (which tasted as expected of vegemite). Barbara from The New Good Life is blessed with the smiliest baby I've ever seen. She didn't frown or spit or grump the whole time. Just sat happily in her sack grinning at everything (although just a warning Barbara, Littlest Monkey started off that way too). Pheobe from Ballynoe Cottage from now on will be known by me as the garden expert. I'll be sending her all my garden questions. She even knew botanical names. And how to pronounce them. Definitely an expert. And Hazel was as lovely as I'd imagined. Still my favourite Victorian blogger - right on my wavelength. (Hmm now I'm feeling nervous that she didn't think the same of me!).

Anyway, we spent a lovely morning and early arvo wandering about Heronswood checking out the veggies and eating scones and perusing the seeds. Of course I couldn't resist making a few purchases. And Mrs Bok gave us all a pressie of a bottle top seedling waterer.

And the day would have been completely lovely if it had ended when we waved goodbye at the gates planning our next meet up at the Melbourne Flower & Garden Show. But unfortunately, an hour earlier (at noonish) I had bid the Monkeys farewell and sent them off to the beach. They'd started to get bored with flowers and veggies and I knew it wouldn't be long before the hissy fits started and my fellow bloggers would cop an eyeful of their true natures. So I sent them away in the car. Leaving myself stranded, but with instructions that I'd ring shortly to be picked up.

Only Monkey Man didn't answer his phone when I was expecting my chauffeur drive home. So I decided to take a wander down the mountain (it might look like a hill but believe me it's a mountain) and meet them at the beach. But they weren't at that beach. So I decided to have a bit more of a wander and walk myself to Dromana. Where there were shops. And as I'd already indulged in Mrs Bok's vegemite chips I decided some more chips were in order. But this time I chose those pretend healthy vege chips that claim to be 40% less fat but come in a 50% bigger pack and taste 70% less good. And I scoffed those while sitting on the beach and made a few more fruitless calls to Monkey Man's answering service and bamboozled myself trying to understand the instructions to the Digger's clover kit.

By this time it was getting rather late. And I started to worry. Something was clearly wrong with Monkey Man's phone. Maybe he was waiting for me back at Heronswood and worrying about where I was. So I started the long trek back along the beach and up the mountain. Only this time I didn't stroll, I walked at a brisk pace with an anxious look on my face. And I arrived with much panting at 3.30pm. But they weren't there! The car attendant fellas were rather impressed with my trekking (or that's what I hope all that laughing and offering of seats was all about) but they hadn't seen the monkeys.

Now Monkey Man I must tell you is a very bad driver. And we drive a rather old, very small car. And I have quite an imagination. So I sat there for half an hour wondering what road they'd been scraped off or whether a monkey had drowned and numerous other scenarios.

And then they arrived.

With casual smiles and all barefoot and sandy. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE TIME IS? Turns out Monkey Man is so relaxed that he didn't even notice his phone was out of range. And he was having such fun racing with the monkeys along the beach he didn't even think about the time. Or about me. So we all jumped into the car, along with my mum who lives nearby and who I had phoned in a bit of a panic and she'd come to keep me company while waiting. And we drove back down the mountain, along the beach and to the ice cream shop. Whilst I gave them a commentary of the trek I had made and all the landmarks that I had already seen. Twice.

So it was a lovely day until the end. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures but Mrs Bok has made up for that. Her post today is chock full of snaps. And there's even one of the bloggers and their feet. But my foot, I fancy, looks rather clean and bouncy and not at all the miserable, red, blistery thing that it is today.



14 comments:

  1. So nice to meet other bloggers! We are having our first food bloggers conference in NZ this Saturday, it will be great (I hope, I am one of the speakers lol!!)

    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch,

    That's a hike and a half. I don't think I would be happy contemplating the resultant feet in any type of shoe today.

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a wonderful a day and I loved meeting you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous day! (except for that last bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was wonderful to meet you chicken! I am so sorry for your poor feet though :( Booooooo...those monkeys sounded like they had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely idea. I often think that I would like to sit and have coffee with all the people I interact with through the blogs as I already feel I know them so well. Heronswood is a long long long way for us , but I love hearing about it, it was one of the things that got me interested in gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the meet-up was a success (even if the other bit wasn't). Wish I could have joined you! It was a good idea to meet for the first time on "Neutral territory" rather than at someones's house. I hope your friendships will have been reinforced by the occasion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I totally should have offered you a lift to the beach!
    It was great meeting you and the monkeys. What a lovely and gorgeous family - and what I'd do for those curls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear you all had a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you hate it when the best laid plans go astray! Sounds like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Up the hill, down the hill. I know you said that Hazel is on your wavelength, but honestly, everything not 100% sensible that you do - I do it too!

    (and yes, every unanswered call when the boys are with their dad means horrific events have taken place!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes it was a great day everyone. Alessandra have a great foodie meet up. Ali we are surely on the same wavelength too. But it was a mountain not a hill!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you all had a fab time. You must have slept well that night after your treking

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! Sorry to hear post meet up was a bit on the stressful side. So glad to hear it turned out alright in the end, expect for your poor feet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails