Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

The Occasional Brilliant Idea

Every once in a while I come up with a bloody good idea. And then I spend the following couple of hours thwacking my hand to my forehead wondering why I didn't come up with the brilliant idea earlier.

We have a little fern garden at our back door that is flourishing. Check it out.

Making this fernery was the first spot of gardening I did at our place. As you can see I've spent more time on the garden than completing essential, tedious, jobs like painting around the window frames on the extension. That's been eight years in the waiting but hey it's a very fiddly job and not very satisfying. Now at the moment the fernery is thriving, especially 'cos we've had a lot of rain. But in a few weeks the Summer sun will be high in the sky and the edge of that garden will be touched by it. And some of those fronds will burn and shrivel. In past years we've constructed some ugly, flimsy protection with shade cloth. And I have wondered about building a permanent overhead structure - but that's too much work and expense and would take a lot to convince Monkey Man. But yesterday I had my brainwave.

I'm going to get a whopping big pot and plonk it right in the middle of the pavers. Then I'm going to erect a bamboo teepee and string up some wire from it to the balcony. And then I am going to grow a protecting canopy for the fernery of Summer pumpkin vines.

Brilliant.

18 comments:

  1. That's genius! Maybe you can grow climbing beans too, just to give it a bit more coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so now the next challenge is to get a whacking great pot from somewhere - preferably without it costing an arm and a leg...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ferns and that sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will have to be a pretty strong construction VG. The vines will be OK, but pumpkins get heavy. I am looking forward to seeing you put your engineering skills to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one VG! I'm growing pumpkins over the chicken coop this year...but I wonder if it'll snap under the weight of thopse pumpkins. Or actually if indeed I'll get any or if the choosk demolish it first.

    Do you ever eat any of your younf ferns...? always curious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Brilliant! I did enjoy reading someone else who has neglected the job of painting window frames for a bit of gardening. Now put your thinking cap back on and come up with a way we can get a plant to paint them for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, sounds like a good idea. I can't quite picture it so I'll be waiting for pictures. By the way, those are the BIGGEST ferns I have ever seen! They are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see it, as we have the same problem, might copy if you don't mind. Hope you do it soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Done. This arvo. But used beans instead of pumpkins. Will post pics soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Looking forward to the picks - I think beans was a smart move - cementing your genius by cleverly avoiding crushing your ferns with falling pumpkins!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant, and the move to beans sounds equally wise, will wait for the photos. What about cucumbers too, or for next season?

    ReplyDelete
  12. A stroke of pure genius - I love it when it happens - well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ps I hope you did the obligatory - homer simpson type 'doh' and slapped your head when it came to you.

    OK, I think maybe I'm imbibed with my children's humour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo that really is a fabulous idea! I have ferns that need summer protection too, and I have never thought of your BRILLIANT idea! Can't wait to see how it looks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails