Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Snails and my Lazy Ways... Again

Some things this year in my garden have been terrible failures. We have had way too many snails. I have lost track of how many cucumber and zucchini seeds I planted. I saw them emerge and the next day... gone. Same with sunflowers. I so wanted sunflowers this summer. I have done several lots of sunflower, cucumber and zucchini seed plantings since November. Eaten by those rotten snails. My basil wasn't going too well either until I took action and protected them with my snail zapper protectors. But I've run out of those and haven't mustered the energy to make more for all the sunflowers and zucchinis and cucumbers I'm wanting to protect. Of course, it probably wouldn't take much to organise some death-by-beer tubs about the place but I haven't been bothered. I'm the type to whinge and take the easy, wasteful way and just plant more seeds.

Mind you, I have been enjoying a snail squash at night. Now that I have a puppy to take to do her business after dark, I've experienced first hand just how many snails we have. They come out from beneath the ground covers and crawl their way along the path to my veggies. Unless they encounter my purple ugg boots taking Wokee for a wee. I've been taking great pleasure in stomping and crunching my way along that path each night.

Nevertheless, I don't seem to have made too much of a dent because things are still disappearing. And just before Christmas the lovely Phoebe sent me a packet of gem squash and poppy seeds. I actually won a competition! But they came with a note that ordered me to protect from snails at all costs. So today it's time to take a stand! If I can find the energy to put finger to keyboard and whine about the snails and my failures I surely can find the time and energy to make a snail zapper. I will make beer baths for them all to drown a happy death in. I will chop up some more milk and lemonade bottles and trim them with copper to protect my seedlings. And I will plant some more bloody sunflower and cucumber and zucchini seeds.

11 comments:

  1. He, he, he - a woman on a mission! When you have finished dealing with the snails can you come and deal with my mice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need lizards, sleepy lizards and blue tongue lizards....we have lived here for 15 years and had lizards all that time, just recently we no longer see them, I think it has to do with the block next door being cleared...now I have snails...

    ReplyDelete
  3. where there is a WILL there is a way...LOL! I love the ideas of lizards. I suppose it is wrong to transport some to my garden..even though it would be an ideal habitat. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! You get those snails!!!! You're a woman with a plan and you're not afraid to use it!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I use the blue slug pellets. Nothing else seems to work. And these days the pellets are allegedly "environment-friendly" too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain. No 'wall of sunflowers' for me this year :( And I was so organised getting those pumpkins into the ground nice and early... gone. We do have a resident sleepy lizard, but there are too many for it to keep up with, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just popped across from Mark's bloglist. Just wanted to say don't use slug pellets when you have that lovely little puppy sniffing around. I hate the sound of snail shells cracking beneath my feet but it even worse when you end up sliding across the patio on a flattened slug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha .. you go get them snails. I was having a horrid time trying to keep them from my veggie patch at one stage. I resulted to going out just after the sun had gone down and again about 10pm and gave flights away to any who was found on my garden. I think word got around as I have not had to do this for about 6 weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck deterring those snail and slugs. As we are in a very dry season at the moment, we are safe from those pest. But we did have some problem with them in spring. Many of the beans were gone thanks to them.Now, we have a rabbit that having free meals at our place. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DOWN WITH SNAILS!!

    Happy new year VG,hope you're having a wonderful night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the number of zukes and cucumbers and sunflowers I planted too only to have them taken as dinner for the snails. In the end, when nothing else worked, I used pellets too - though only in areas our little dog couldn't get to them.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails