Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Vine Twirling, Plum Picking and Swinging in the Hammock

This is the current view from my hammock under the plum tree. I'm loving having a swing under there at the moment. Only a few months ago it was all weeds. But you might remember I've been making an attempt to de-grass our yard and this was the first place I started. Those new veggie patches are doing quite well too considering they don't get much sun. The corn is growing nicely and I have a lovely lettuce mix growing well too. Lettuce I believe likes a bit of shade so this has turned out to be a perfect spot.

As you can see, the plums are ripe and are falling off the tree. So, as much as I like to have a lazy swing in the hammock and sip on a cup of tea, it's a bit of a guilty swing 'cos I'm reminded of the work that I ought to be doing. It's great having a whopping big plum tree in the back yard but as you know I'm a bit lazy about some things. And I don't much like picking plums. At this time of year we end up with loads of plums sitting in bags at our back door just waiting to find a home. I spend my time scouring recipe books thinking of recipes to make with them. Of course I will make jam. I also made a few jars of chutney last year and that went down a treat. Any friend who walks in the door will walk out with a load of plums. But still I know we'll have a smell of fermenting fruit in our house and some of the plums will end up in the compost. What a waste. The chooks have already got sick of them. So any plum suggestions from you all will be gratefully accepted.
In other garden news, those beans I planted in the big blue pots are creeping their way to the balcony. I don't think they'll provide much shade for the fernery which was my initial idea but I am nevertheless liking the little bean canopy overhead as I step outside. And they are providing some entertainment and occupation for Monkey Man. Monkey Man isn't much interested in gardening. He likes a big, messy jungle and he has crazy ideas about planting things in the wrong spots and too close together. That's why I've left the front garden to him and I'm in charge out back. But Monkey Man does like a bit of a prune. Whenever we are in a rush to go somewhere you can be sure to find him with a pair of secateurs in hand in his front garden. Only he doesn't do proper prunes, just little snips. He'll leave a big thorny rose branch to poke someone in the eye as they walk down our front path but he'll do a wee artistic snip from a twig nearby. And he loves to do a bit of a vine twirl. He's always finding a bit of vine that needs twirling 'round a bit of support.

And now we have a bean vine right in his line of vision at the back door. So whenever he ought to be making a phone call, or sorting through his papers, or writing a chart for his fourteenth carols by candlelight event, he'll be eyeing off the bean vine. And then he'll get a chair and wind the vine a bit further along the string supports he nagged me to put up. Even when I've already done the vine twirl that morning. So those beans are serving several purposes - beans for food, canopy for shade and entertainment for Monkey Man.



14 comments:

  1. OOoh look at those plums. Can I come round to your place :) I would preserve them in the Fowlers.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plain old stewed plums...nice with ice-cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those looks like jack in the beanstalk beans.... when I didn't know what to do with all my lychees I just popped them in containers in the freezer - you might try to do the same with some plums. You can freeze them on trays and then into ziplock bags so they don't stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO love your posts! You always make me smile.... I can understand your frustration with Monkey Man's pruning practices. I'm a 'chop it down to ground level and see if it grows back' kind of girl and DH is definitely more like Monkey Man. Perhaps they went to the same School of Gardening cos DH also loves the jungle look ..... Merry, merry xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sweet corn is looking great. Plum sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely spot to have a hammock,I love stewed plums Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stew your plums, get em out of the way , and into the freezer. Then you can have them all year round and give them away too...already stewed! You can make lots of desserts through winter with stewed plums, or they are nice just on icecream..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make the plums into Rumtopf (Google it if you don't know what this is!)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked up Mark's suggestion on Google - definitely the way to go. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd freeze some,stew some and dehyrate some..yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look like delicious plums, what a brilliant spot to have a hammock to read a book on a hot summers day. I would be more than happy to pop over and collect several buckets of plums, I love them but don't have the room for any trees in our yard.

    Thank you also for the add on the right :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummy plums. Will be nice to eat them cold in this coming warm weather that are bound to visit us this weekend. Your corns are growing very nicely. I gave up on them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure there is a giant at the top of that bean stalk. Plums- we are currently making plum sauce for Christmas gifts(onions, cinnamon ,garlic,plums and apples- boil till all is soft and then put the handstick blender in ....it didnt' take very long)
    Have a lovely Christmas...I have really enjoyed your blog this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. they look delicious, sharing is lovely, I vote for plum sauce too. Might make some myself this year. Our plums aren't quite ripe yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails