Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Noooooo... Goats!

Goats don't belong in the suburbs. They belong on a farm. In a big paddock with lots of thistles. Surrounded by a very tall, strong, impenetrable, thick, brick wall to protect everyone and everything from their rotten, munching teeth and smashing hooves.

We came home from a holiday yesterday. I know I have turned into my nana because before we even unpacked the car I was in the backyard inspecting the veggies. Corn as tall as me, tomatoes everywhere, loads and loads of beans. Even Monkey Man delayed unpacking the car to get up the ladder and twist a few beans while I spent half an hour tying up the tomatoes that had grown wild while we were gone.

The little monkeys are spending a couple of nights with their grandparents so Monkey Man and I had the luxury of a sleep in this morning. I got up three hours later than usual to the sound of a yapping puppy. Naturally, I immediately took her outside and went to check on the chooks and the veggies.

Disaster.

The rotten goats from next door had knocked down part of the fence and had been feasting on my garden.
Corn decimated.
Eggplant and capsicum munched.
Strawberries gone.
 Butter beans finished.
Oh I am cranky. In fact I nearly shed a tear. Now I know it's not as bad as poor Phoebe who lost all of her veggies in a storm on Christmas day. Or Hazel who is foolish enough to own goats who prevented her from growing veggies all last year. But still. I was only the night before patting myself on the back about the bountiful, beautiful garden full of veggies I was managing.
Hmph.
Well at least they left me the basil and they must have been full by the time they reached the tomatoes 'cos they've only been nibbled.

Just as I was inspecting and moaning my loss for the second time I looked at the hole in the fence and I saw the culprits. Peeping through the crack contemplating dessert. And for a moment my heart melted because it was the cute baby kid who is so friendly and fearless of humans. But then I saw her ugly mother hovering nearby and I came to my senses. So I roared and jumped at them and set Monkey Man to work fortressing up the fence.


24 comments:

  1. Oh dear :( I'm so sorry - I would be devastated too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How disappointing and annoying. Lucky you're a vegetarian. I would have been threatening to turn them into goat stew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm outraged on your behalf - I would have cried too if I were you. I hope some of it will be able to recover and that you can replant anything that wont.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How frustrating is that? Especially as the picture of them shows them next to some perfectly adequate grass! If it helps any every goat I have known has come to a strange and sticky end (we had a particularly ferocious one when I was a kid and eventually karma stepped in and he managed to strangle himself in the fence. Gross but somehow just...even though I don't normally believe in capital punishment....).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,poor you. I have goats and love them so much...but I also have seen how much they can eat in an 'escape' day. In my experience, the beans do grow back...the corn doesn't.
    That little kid is kinda cute but if you are a goat owner you have to take responsiblity for 'escapes' ...I hope that happens for you with your neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your tomatoes were only nibbled and all was not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh No VG, that is devastating! I would have shed many tears....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is seriously crap. I can completely sympathize. Get out and plant more NOW! It will make you feel heaps better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be contemplating goat curry for dinner if that happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not fair! With apologies to Hazel, I've never understood the goat attraction myself. I agree with Phoebe, go forth and plant again...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bugger!,drat and double drat but they are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about this disaster... I do hope you will have some strong words with the goats' owner. It's his responsibility to restrain his animals, not your to stop them entering your property. I think some compensation is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh VG I could have cried for you. It's hard enough growing a veggie garden without this happening. I'd be visiting the neighbour for compensation.
    x jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'd definitely have cried at that. But that little goat is seriously cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. aaaaawwww that sucks! after seeing those photos i'm thinking twice about owning goats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can honestly say that I know how you feel! I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh B.........goats, thank goodness they left the tomatoes. I think your neighbors need a talking to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no, I'd be so upset! Yeah, goats are not my kind of animal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry for your loss..... We had The Storm From Hell here on New Year's Eve and I lost most of my veg too so I know EXACTLY how you're feeling... Make sure Monkey Man fixes that fence good and proper!!! p.s. Am nominating your blog for the Liebster Award today...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, great minds think alike (ditto Laura's comment above) Just popped back to let you know that I've left you a Liebster award on my blog... No obligation though - just a token of my enjoyment of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh poor you! All your hard work gone to feed a pesky goat, now that's not fair. If it helps I was reading in my vegie patch book last night that now is the time to plant a second lot of corn to extend the harvest. While you may have lost the first lot, perhaps you can get another one going. Good luck with repairing the damage.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We used to have goats so I know the damage they can do. It must be even worse for you when they're not even your goats.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No no no no no ... I have shed a tear here :( all the hard work to be demolished by these gremlins! Hopefully the corn and beans will recover.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH NO VG!!!!!! Rotten bleating goats!! Awwwwwwwwww there is still plenty of summer and warm autumn left. Get planting! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails