Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Completely Plumed Out

Thanks for all your suggestions about what to do with my plums. However, I don't think I quite conveyed to you all the magnitude of our plum harvest. We have a rather old, quite large plum tree. Monkey Man and I estimated that we picked about 80kgs of plums this year. I'm completely plumed out.

I made: jam, pavlova with plum syrup, plum cake and pancakes with stewed plums. I snuck plums into pasta sauces. I spent two days searching the internet for the plum chutney recipe I made last year that was a hit and couldn't find it. So I settled on another and made a batch. And then I discovered last year's recipe. On my own blog. So I made some more. Monkey Man forbade me to do any more cooking because the weather was getting hot and he's a complete control freak about curtains and climate control in the house when it gets over 30º. In fact he's rather keen on the weather and is always telling me tedious facts about which direction the wind is blowing from and how cool it is in the front hall compared to outside according to our thermometer. He loves to check the weather radar and alert me when rain is coming. He gets very excited when he reckons a big storm is on the way. And he can't stand it when I do a cook up on a hot day.

So I waited 'til he had a late gig and a sleep in and I cooked up some more jam and chutney.

We gave bags to all our neighbours and friends. I froze plums (thanks africanaussie) and I was about to stew some and pop them in the freezer when I discovered a big tub of poached plums... from last year. So I stopped.

I am sick to death of plums.
Plum picking

Elaborate pulley system erected by Littlest Monkey to collect plums
Plum cake



Oh, and we are heading for a top temperature of 40ºC here in Melbourne tomorrow so I'd better close up the house and plan for salads if I am to keep Monkey Man happy.

22 comments:

  1. What a glut! No wonder you are plumed out, I feel tired just reading about it! We have hit zucchini madness time here so if I am cooking anything you know there is going to be zucchini in there somewhere! Plums in pasta sauce? How does it taste?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Some harvest! All I can suggest is that you take some plums to a local hotel where they can cook up a storm for their guests!! I love plums but I have to admit feeling slightly overwhelmed when I read your post! Good luck!!!! p.s. thanks for stopping by my blog....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had you considered putting a sign outside your house saying "FREE PLUMS - Help yourself"??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Marks idea have you thought of making prunes or wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.ehow.com/how_2105858_turn-plums-prunes.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5248546_make-plum-lightning-wine.html
    I found these on ehow

    ReplyDelete
  6. And can you believe the cost of plums in the shops? Sounds like you hate waste,like me. Our son had a huge plum tree which fruited at Christmas time when they went away for their 4 weeks holidays. I couldn't bare to see the plums falling rotting on the ground,so did like you,potted,jammed,cooked and preserved for weeks. I just gave away the last of last years sauce for Christmas presents. The only thing is, our son has now sold the house. At first I was thankful as it wasn't only plums but apricots too. Now that the last has gone,I'm thinking about where I can get more. Pity we don't live closer,LOL. Happy cooking. Keep cool
    phew,we are 41 today too. x jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you donate a few bags to the Salvos or similar that run a kitchen and feed the homeless?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow! You deserve a break after all that... plums & apricots just coming in to harvest here! This year thank goodness there are not as many apricots to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice plum BBQ sauce would be nice and last all year long

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've just about done with them all now. Phew. Cathy, you reminded me- I also made plum juice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 80kg?? Good grief! Hard to comprehend, really. Do you have an old Fowler's Vacola unit? Could be worth finding one for making big batches of pie filling..for next year's harvest, of course.Fantastic effort, I'm completely in awe!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Christine, I am not good with numbers so I left the estimating to Monkey Man ... But your incomprehension is starting to make me doubt. So I just went and weighed one of the three bags left. Which i wasn't all that keen to do because it involved me standing on the scales first... And I've definitely put on too much weight over Christmas. Anyway, the bag was 5kgs. And then I just calculated how many bags we picked and yep that'd be about 80kgs... Possibly more! Now I'm off to drop these last bags off to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, and I have thought about a fowlers unit... That might just be on next year's Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's a lot of plums. I am in awe of your creativity and ingenuity...a trait you have passed on to the Little Monkeys by the look of it!

    The 'Old School Marm' in me needs to point out that your were probably plummed out, not plumed out. Though there is something rather grand about being plumed out...I have visions of you spouting a giant plume of plums from gorgeous curly mane! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! Monkey Man pointed this error out to me but I was reluctant to change it. I argued that there is no such word as plumed/plummed (or plumbed as he told me it should be) anyway. But mostly I don't like to be told when I'm wrong - being an Old School Marm myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All i can say is Thank God i dont have a very large old plum tree!!!! Crickey(is that spelt correctly) you make me laugh,plums in spag sauce .......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello veggiegobbler you have been nominted for an award. Please pop over to my blog and pick it up. Congratulations Heidi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. exactly how i feel about apricots right now! maybe we should do a jam swap?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So I don't need to offer you some plums from my mums tree then? He he - actually she has problems getting enough cos the cockies keep eating them. That's what you could do next year - get in some bird life to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear, your post reminded me of a storybook my older children had. It's simply called' Jam' by Margaret Mahy and their family has an abundance of plums too!! It's very funny and the kids loved it!
    Here's a link -

    http://www.amazon.com/Jam-Margaret-Mahy/dp/0749708859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325849222&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  21. Make wine. LOTS and LOTS of wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember having this big plum harvest back home in Europe. We made a fire pit outside, and made plum butter and jams. It was so delicious! Plus plums in it's own juice, mmm! Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails