Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Yay Yippee-de-Yahooooo!

Last night we were having dinner outside in the garden when I spied something that made me jump and run. It was AN ACTUAL AVOCADO! On closer inspection I discovered that our avocado tree was housing not one but THREE ACTUAL AVOCADOS.
Please excuse my shrieking but you cannot imagine how excited I am. You see this avocado tree must be over twenty years old. And in the eighteen years that Monkey Man has lived here it has never shown any inclination whatsoever to bear fruit. In fact after that devastating Black Saturday bushfire weekend when we had several stinking hot days reaching temperatures of 46ÂșC, the tree shrivelled and I very nearly chopped it down. But it survived after I removed the dead limbs and I consoled myself that it was a lovely shade tree even if it didn't produce fruit. BUT NOW IT DOES! Naturally I upset the neighbourhood with my demented squawking and jumping about in excitement. If I had been able I would have done a cartwheel. Or several.

When I first moved in I did a lot of research on avocados in the hope that I could work some magic on the tree. I contemplated getting another one to help with pollination but they grow so big. I also considered getting out a paintbrush and doing a bit of pollination myself. You see avocados, I understand, are rather tricky trees with A and B flowers that open after each other and change from male to female later in the day. It was all a bit bamboozling for me. And I didn't really hold out any hope. But you can rest assured that this year I'll be painting my flowers morning and afternoon. I have already done some googling on pollinating. This site looked simple enough for me to understand.

Now I am sure there's a lesson here about having faith, or patience being a virtue, or reaping what you sow... or something like that. But I'll leave the lessons for you to ponder 'cos I am too busy smiling and shrieking and making repeated visits to the tree.

13 comments:

  1. WOW VG! That's awesome! How luxurious to be able to pick your own avocados! Goes to show that patience and (perseverance) is a virtue and all that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18 years?!!!! I am going to have to hurry up and plant some avocado trees so I can harvest some before I die. We did have three avocado trees that we lost to the wind conditions where we are in Central Vic. Time methinks to organise a good windbreak and plant at least two avocadoes.

    Well done VG....although even without fruiting, I agree, they are magnificent shade trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts exactly Daffodil. I better get planting. I love the thought of you jumping and yahooing, VG, with your gorgeous hair doing the same...but several seconds later. I think the avocados are your reward for the goat attack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gals. But I'm pretty sure you all still have time - I've read that most fruit after 5 years. Oh and Hazel, I saw mum and baby goat being driven off in a trailer on Friday! I didn't mention their adventures in my garden to Mr P so I can only guess that he's been a victim of his own goats too and has had enough. Or maybe they're just going on holiday to return when my garden is lusher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! after all those years, now there are fruits....... Quite a number of trees start flowering/ fruiting after stressful periods: like draught, heavy pruning..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! That is so awesome and so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be sooo excited too. The question is will you share them? or eat them all yourself as i would probably do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're dusting off the recipes for Guacamole, VG!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great news, youou could always try a wurtz avocado as they are dwarf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so exciting. They will taste better than any you have ever bought, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yayay!! I'd be doing a happy dance out in my garden at the sight of that. Also, I just wanted to let you know I am awarding your blog the "Versatile Blogging Award" I just love your posts and want to show you how much I appreciate your blog!! please visit my latest post for more details on the award and where I have also linked your blog. Cheers Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I would love to have an avocado tree. That's awesome, I hope you get many more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails