Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Greenwashing

I live in a very fashionable suburb. I didn't move here when it was fashionable mind you. When Monkey Man bought our house 17 years ago it was cheap and lots of people didn't even know where it was. But now we're super fashionable.

You can't walk about our village without tripping over a cafe chair and falling into a frothy vanilla chai latte. Which I won't complain about because I've become rather partial to a frothy vanilla chai latte. But my suburb has become rather too upmarket. Recently another funky gift store opened. The type of shop you visit if you have a lot of money and need to buy a quirky pressie for someone who has everything. And I was having a stickybeak at the quirky over-priced gifts when I noticed a little section of garden products. And my eyeballs nearly popped right out of my head.

A stick to poke a hole in your soil and deposit a seed in being sold for $45! That's right a stick. In garden circles it's called a "dibber". Admittedly it was a perfectly lovely stick that would not look out of place in a contemporary art gallery. It had a lovely smooth wooden handle with a lovely shaped metal stick bit to do the poking. And I'm sure it would do the job well. Certainly just as well as my finger.

And there was an "eco" newspaper pot kit. Priced at $49. Now I need a bit of convincing to get my head around how they can promote an over-priced kit made from "sustainable" wood as being good for the environment. 'Cos I know well and truly that you can make those newspaper pots from any old glass you've got hanging about on your shelf. But it did get me thinking that it was about time I made some of those newspaper pots I've been reading about in blogs all over the place and plant some seeds before it gets too late in the season. So I reminded myself of how to do it on Christine's Slow Living Essential's blog. Of course I got a bit bored and conked out way too early and didn't make nearly enough. But I just re-used some old pots for the rest of the seeds I wanted to plant.

And then I had a bit of a novice dilemma about where to put the seed pots at this time of the year. So I settled on the newly re-located mini greenhouse. Which I think was a big mistake. I'm pretty sure I cooked those seeds 'cos it was hotter than a bread oven when I poked my hand in yesterday. Sigh.

Now it is just as well that my suburb is still chock-full of very friendly, community-minded, unfashionable types like myself.  Everyone around here knows and speaks to their neighbours. I know this is not the case in lots of other parts of our city. I can't walk 'round our neighbourhood without bumping into a bunch of people to stop and have a chat with. I'm just hoping the tourists who visit on the weekends are the ones buying those sticks and pot makers. And maybe they'll be convinced to dirty their beautiful implements and grow something.

13 comments:

  1. Ah, it sounds as though gardening is becoming the trendy hobby now. Gosh you are having some hot weather there, I know those greenhouses can heat up - maybe it is a good place to put the bread dough to rise.. Here it is still raining... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing isn't it? I was just looking in astonishment at a nappy bag for $180 "Oh" I said to myself" it's organic!" So much gorgeous eco friendly stuff sweetie darling- look at the gorgeous stuff! Ah well at least it isn't us buying it and that people who are silly enough to part with that much cash of some sticks are buying, ethical, eco friendly sustainable $45 sticks to keep the economy going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sometimes we turn out to be in unpredictable places! I found myself in a very similar situation back in Seattle when I moved to the area to save on rent and ended up few years later living in one of the most expencive neighborhoods... Great post! I love your paper pots: that's an eco-friendly ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL< I had to have a giggle at this post. Good for you doing it yourself. I often wonder if people do buy those ridiculously overpriced items in the new trendy shops. I sometimes think it is maybe women with rich husbands just playing. Well I tell myself that anyway,makes me feel better :) jeanetteann PS ooh that was a bit sexist, it could be men married to Rich wives, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-), yep giggled too at the prices, and good on you for a bit of DIY :-).

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. My suburb is getting a bit too groovy too. Still not like yours yet - no dibber and newspaper pot kit shops yet, but it wont be long. Who does buy these things?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, do you think the seeds I planted today using a stick I picked up off the ground will be ruined???!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah well I guess there are worse things cash up city dwellers could spend their money on...I do like the sound of vanilla chai lattes - perhaps they will come to Coburg one day - as long as they don't replace the $2.00 normal lattes in Coburg mall I shall welcome them with open arms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hear you alright. I saw one of those pot making kits the other day too they were next to the stainless steel plant labels for $79, and flat gardening baskets for over $100!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry - it's happening here too. My local garden centre sells very fancy so-called 'gardening gloves' but they're so pretty, gorgeous and EXPENSIVE that no-one in their right mind would use them for gardening!!! Sensible people would keep them for 'best'!!!! lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the post! I know exactly what you mean. I've been ripped-off by some gardening products before and I now choose to keep everything super simple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I laughed and laughed - I have seen this as well. Although I have been admittedly tempted by those lovely willow tee pees that are also ridiculously priced.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails