Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ridding the Fridge of those Leftover Easter Eggs

My littlest Monkey is a real fussy eater. He wouldn't even touch a potato until a few months ago.  Then he was tricked into trying my delicious, crispy roast potatoes after being told they were actually chips. Naturally, he loved them. And that's all he requested for his special birthday lunch on the weekend. And that and bread and birthday cake is pretty much all he ate.
Yesterday I showed him the banana I was about to pack into his lunchbox and he had a hissy fit. Seems bananas with the teeniest bit of brown on the skin are not worthy to be eaten. So at the market I bought more bananas - green ones and decided I'd best make muffins or something with those browning ones. And then I remembered the leftover Easter eggs I'd stashed at the back of the fridge.

After the first few days of Easter egg gluttony, I take all chocolate and conceal it at the back of the fridge in the hope that the monkeys will forget about it. And surprisingly, they do. In fact this year, the day before the Easter Bunny was to pay a visit, I discovered last year's stash at the back of the fridge (not that I never clean there mind you - I wouldn't want you to think I was lazy or anything).

I never quite feel right about Easter. I love the hunting and their excited little faces, but I hate all that chocolate gluttony. And Monkey Man insists that the Easter Bunny leaves lots and lots of little Easter eggs all over our front garden. The Monkeys collect them in a communal basket and then they gobble them all day long 'til they feel a bit sick and/or start climbing up the walls. A couple of years ago the Easter Bunny must have had one too many asprins when out shopping because he not only left a bucket-load of little eggs but he also left a couple of whopping big rabbits. And now the Monkeys also expect something big every year.
A couple of days after Easter Sunday, we have another hunt with a few neighbours. It's a lovely little meet up in the park where the kids run wild hunting and the adults laze about catching up. Then we divvy up the loot and I start to feel anxious about even more chocolate that is being consumed. So for the rest of the week it's nothing but soups and fruit platters and veg, veg, veg.

But yesterday a half-eaten rabbit was shining at me from the fridge and I knew there was still a bag full of little eggs hidden up the back. I decided to use up that chocolate and the browning bananas in one hit. Naturally I wanted to blog about it ... only trouble is this blog is supposed to have recipes that are made with stuff I've grown. And chocolate easter eggs don't grow on trees. But after some consideration and searching for recipes I managed to sneak around that loophole. Banana Bread with Leftover Easter Eggs is made with lemon juice! And I have loads of lemons growing all year round on our two lemon trees.
 Now I must confess that I felt a tad uncomfortable as I was smashing up the eggs. I wasn't sure how well the monkeys would take to their chocolate stash being stolen. As I was making it I was rehearsing a little porky pie about the eggs being leftovers that had been given to me. I was feeling rather guilty about stealing their stash and then telling a porky. But then I remembered the whole easter chocolate bunny business is built around one big porky pie. And I decided a porky pie lie is OK if it's for a child's good. Fortunately, when the monkeys returned from school and smelt banana bread cooking they got so excited they didn't even ask where the chocolate chunky bits came from. And I doubt they will.

Banana Bread with Stolen Leftover Easter Eggs (and a bit of lemon juice)

• 3 ripe bananas
• juice of 1 lemon
• 2 cups SR flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 150g butter, softened
• 75g brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• leftover smashed up Easter eggs - as many as you have (see how many I used in the picture)


Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Mash bananas with the lemon juice. In a mixing bowl beat butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add eggs beating well after each one. In a separate bowl sift together the flour and baking powder and then fold this into the egg mixture. Fold in the mashed bananas and the smashed chocolate. Pour into a greased baking loaf tin and cook for 1 hour.





16 comments:

  1. Those little eggs are great to pop on the top of a uncooked muffin or cupcake just before putting in the oven ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh that looks good, and I love the circuitous route you took to make the recipe blog worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if they do ask you can quite innocently tell the Monkeys you made their easter eggs even yummier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny is that...I was exactly the same with brown spot bananas when I was going to school...how we change as we get older. The banana bread looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy and care about the eggs since they got to eat them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, nice to read about the antics of detskh. I think I can use your recipe with bananas.) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still don't like brown spot bananas (too sweet and squishy), but banana bread with added choc - that I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A conscience is a wonderful thing. Sometimes. I love over-ripe bananas mashed into condensed milk, with chocolate flake (or grated chocolate) on top. Unsophisticated, yes, but delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have similar feelings about Easter, and Christmas for that matter. A couple of eggs/presents I wouldn't mind so much but it just gets a little overboard. Even if I could control the amount coming into the house children are so critical at comparing them selves to other children.

    Re fussy eaters, I read an interesting article about taste. According to the article, majority of our taste perception, what we think is good or bad, is learnt. Thus it takes a number of tries of a new taste before our perception changes. As a result of this information I now have the following dinner table rule: You are allowed to say something is yuck and not eat it as long as you have first tried it. And by try I mean chew and swallow. My children have responded well to it, they now have a way to quickly stop Melanie and I from nagging them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, I'm so doing that with the rest of the stash at the back of my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jason I have a similar rule at our place. Oh and if they don't like the food that's fine - but they don't get anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! My first visit, will visit you again. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed your posts( really interesting blog). Would be great if you could visit also mine...Thanks for sharing! Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im new to your blog! Lovely cake yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea for the Easter eggs, yum! I share your views on all the chocolate craziness, this year Easter bunny delivered our kids just a few eggs and also some books. They didn't even question it. Lovely blog...I found you through Phoebe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter would know if one egg was gone from her stash. Ugh. All these candy-centered holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The banana bread looks lovely, and I'm very envious of you having your own supply of lemons all year round.

    I can't imagine how big your fridge is to be able to hide Easter eggs in it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails