Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Terrariums Part 2

I saw this idea while googling a few months ago and finally found some hanging glass containers to make my own. Trouble is Monkey Man keeps wacking his head and grumbling every time he goes out the back door so no doubt I'll need to do a re-locate.

They are air plants. They don't need soil. But they do need water. And not direct sunlight. So I thought this was the perfect spot until the head-thwacking business. That long dangly one is called Mister Whiskers and naturally I've forgotten the names of the other two. But if I'm lucky and don't manage to kill them they will grow beautiful flowers. They need a dunk in water a couple of times a week so I've hung them on little hooks. This way I don't need to get up on the ladder and can leave them in their glass containers to water.

Cool aren't they?

You can see my first terrarium attempt here.

12 comments:

  1. Pretty, but you can't eat them! You will have to change your name to 'Airplantgobbler'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! My Nana has had one for years and it has actually grown quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really cool, you do come up with some creative and fun ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are cool, really cool. I like the containers too - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look gorgeous, well done!

    I hung some Spanish moss on my tree fern that grows outside my kitchen window, which I could enjoy looking at when I had a coffee in the morning. They thrived and looked lovely despite the incongruity of Spanish moss growing on tree ferns. One day I looked out and they had totally disappeared. I was incensed! Who would come into my backyard and steal them? Birds, apparently. They love them as nesting material. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very stylish - I like them. Do they need to be literally dunked in water? Would not spraying them work just as well? (It would certainly be easier.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope Mark, apparently spraying them is not enough, they do need to be dunked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the teardrop shaped containers. There's something very Scandinavian about hanging glass objects in front of a window, and even better if you can put a plant in them without filling up the container with dirt, so the sunlight can penetrate right through!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi these are beautiful, where did you find the glass containers?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Morag. I was looking online for somewhere in Australia but had no luck. Then I saw them at the Melb International Flower and Garden Show which I don't think will help you I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible they will be at a garden show in Adelaide, I will keep looking!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails