Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Beetroot be Gone

Beetroot hommus with cheesy crackers
I just don't much like beetroot. I've given it a red hot go, but that's it for me now. No more. Sure it looks nice in the garden - even I can manage to grow it. And there is something appealing about eating pink stuff. But I find it rather tricky to think of a way to cook and eat it. Without wanting to tip the plate down the compost. Eating beetroot is like eating a forkful of pink dirt. Mind you I'm shamefully quite partial to a bit of tinned beetroot in a salad sandwich in summer. So maybe I should have tried pickling them in cheap vinegar or something.

This year the beetroot growing was unintentional. I scattered about a lettuce mix which served us nicely for baby salad leaves through summer. Then I forgot about it and before I could say "winter" the beetroot leaves had taken over and grown into fair dinkum beetroots. So I had to do something with them. I pulled the whole bunch up during the week and did a beetroot blitz. I tried cooking them up with some feta and other veggies. Meeeeh. It was OK. I ate it 'cos it was good for me.


Then I made these choc chip beetroot muffins. I'm trying to lose a few kilos so I resisted and left them to the monkeys. They were a hit - obviously if you put enough chocolate in a meal you can disguise the taste of earthworm.

Then I remembered the beetroot hommus that I made last year. And while I was browsing about pinterest (yes I've developed a pinterest addiction like everyone else it seems) I discovered these cheesy crackers that would be just right to spread the dip on. So I jumped up and made them. Naturally I had to taste a couple to make sure they were right. Whoa those crackers were good. Quick and easy and very cheesy.  So the diet went out the window - it was hard to stop at one. But I consoled myself with the thought that all that butter was being washed down with a lot of vitamin C from the beetroot. When the little monkeys came home from school they too scoffed quite a few. Littlest Monkey with just a smidge of beetroot hommus on every second cracker. That was the rule.

But I don't think I'll be doing beetroot again. 


12 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to know the world is filled with diversity. Some that love beetroot and some that don't. I love beetroot. In fact I am eating grated beetroot in my sandwich right now. My favourite desert is beetroot cake, and the kids and I frequently make beetroot brownies. I have a friend who, like you, is not that fond of them and she also claims they taste like dirt. But I just don't get it. If dirt tasted like beetroot I would be eating dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beetroot - roasted beetroot and beetroot and yoghurt dip but I know what you mean about growing stuff you don't like - for me it was turnips :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit having quite a few beetroots sitting in my fridge awaiting something....not sure what but they're definitely waiting. I do recommend pickling some though. I too like the pickled ones in salad sandwiches. I do pickle my own. I just cook the beetroot and have a big jar filled with vinegar sweetened a bit with sugar and with a few spices in it and I add the sliced cooked beetroot to that. I then store it in the fridge until I use it up and make a new batch. Works well and avoids ever having to buy a tin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the beetroot lovin' camp, but it sounds like you made a pretty good effort to move camps. If you're not going to like it in the combinations you tried it's probably just not going to work for you. Just stick to eating the leaves! Do you have a produce swap group near you? We have a local one that could be a good way to turn un-admired vegies into treasure too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it was the type of beetroot you had in that seed mix that was more suited to harvesting the leaves than the actual beetroot. I've grown a few different types & noticed I like some better than others. Some can get quite woody and tasteless while others are tender and delicious. But I agree, if you don't like them, why waste precious garden space growing things you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm I hadn't thought of that Missy. It was a bit woody. But I have grown it before and wasn't that keen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like them very much and make many things with them, mostly I like the colour! Hey, I posted some bok choy planted in pots that may interest you!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Missy. Why persevere with growing something you don't like when there are so many nice veggies to be had? As it happens, I love beetroot and grow it every year now. My favourite way to eat it is plain boiled, served as a salad ingredient - perhaps with a sprinkling of chives or Spring onion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may not like the taste, but sheesh, that spread you made is beautitful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say I love beetroot, either raw, juiced with carrots and celery or boiled and eaten warm. My only complaint is that it takes so long to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find I'm slack with it and it sits in the vegie patch far too long and goes woody. I like it, but am just not in the habit of cooking with it. Give me a carrot over beetroot any day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails