Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

A Little Tour as we Head to the Cold

Broccoli
Following that dose of dipel, my brassicas are coming along nicely. I haven't seen a single caterpillar and it seems to be too cold for the cabbage moths to be fluttering about. Fingers crossed I may actually get to eat a home grown cauli this year. 
Rainbow silverbeet
The rainbow silverbeet as usual is going great. No pests, not much work and an endless supply of greens all year round. You've gotta love the silverbeet.
Dwarf snap peas, snap peas and snow peas with various supports
I've constructed a whole bunch of tepees and supports from old clothes hangers and whatever else I could find for the snow peas and snap peas. I've never grown snap peas before but I have a good feeling about them - and I reckon the monkeys might actually eat them.
Snow pea in flower
The first snow pea - yay!
More snow peas and snap peas - but not sure which is which.
Celeriac
The celeriac seems to be working. Again it's the first time I've grown it but I'm feeling optimistic.

I didn't photograph the garlic that's taken off. And that's because I have been naughty and have not dealt with the weeds that have also taken off all round them. Tsk tsk.

And I have a bed of broad beans that haven't yet emerged.

I also have a bunch of beetroot that I planted with other greens over summer. I was snipping bits off for salads and then forgot all about them and before I knew it they'd grown into beetroot. Which I don't much like. But I did get inspired by Suburban Tomato's beetroot post not too long ago so I must get cracking and cook something with them.

But here's the thing. I have room for more. Quite a bit more. What should I do? I can't stand to see the wasted space. I will plant some potatoes but my mum gave me one of those potato growing bags for Christmas and I have a big rubbish bin that works quite well, so there's still space in the patches.

I'm thinking carrots. Even though carrots don't seem to like me I could give them another try. And what else? Any suggestions.








12 comments:

  1. Spare space in a veg garden? Can't be right! Why not try Asian Greens - Pak Choi, Choi Sum, Tatsoi etc? They grow quickly and tolerate cooler conditions.

    BTW: Some of those phots are great - especially the Silverbeet one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos - love the close ups.
    Have you tried Kale? I planted it last winter and it just kept on going and going. Have just plant wombok for the first time too - so maybe Asian is the way to go as per Mark's suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, you have space?????? Get planting girl....lol...ANYTHING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your garden VG! Weeds? Who cares? I haven´t exactly been posting about my vegie garden only because there are only asian greens growing....that self sowed, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your broccoli seems to be at the same stage as mine but your peas are far more advanced. The things that I have growing that you haven't mentioned are: Onions, Leeks, Parsley, Shallots, Lettuce, Cabbages- I reckon red cabbage is great - decorative as well as delicious, Kale, Radishes, Raddichio, Coriander, any or all of them I reckon. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veggies look great! Carrots are a good idea but I found planting them in old toilet rolls and planting the whole thing helped stop them being eating! They came out lovely and straight too!!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fall garden hey if its getting cool think about planting your Garlic...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your vegies look very healthy. I hope you do get to eat your cauliflower. I agree with Mark. Asian greens can be tucked into any space you have free and you'll have some great stir fries with them and your other vegs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The garden is looking great! I am very jealous of the snow peas. Due to sparrows I keep having to start again with all my peas. My new seedling cover should hopefully fix that. Allot of people try and grow celery in spring/summer and don't have much luck, requires allot of water. Growing in autumn/winter is the best time as long as you don't get too heavier frost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos of the snap peas and your tepees..........Yes to Asian greens great in salads and soups, and maybe something for the chooks, kale? my girls love their few leaves everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice opinion.. thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! Lovely garden!
    I'm growing some peas, too.
    Happy gardening!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails