Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Yoghurt Making

There are some kitchen gadgets that I just can't get enough of. Of course, I do have my share of dusty, enormous gadgets that haven't seen the light of day for years (juicer I'm thinking of you). But I've lucked onto a gadget that I am sure is gonna keep me happy for a while. It's the $20 yoghurt maker from aldi. Yeah I know, I can hear you all now out in blog land - "You don't need a machine to make yoghurt veggiegobbler what sort of a silly billy are you?!" Well I know you don't need a machine to make yoghurt. But it's much easier. And at least I am making my own regularly now. Well I've done it twice. And I think I'll keep it up. 

There was a time when I was making yoghurt fairly often in my slow cooker. But I gave up after a while - all that blanket wrapping and waiting around and then it was always sloppy and I'd end up making so much it would go to waste. But I am so in love with my yoghurt maker that I think I could make an infomercial for it. You just mix up a litre of milk with 200mls of plain yoghurt, pour it into the jars, pop the lids on and turn the gadget on for 6 hours. After that it goes into the fridge for a while and it comes out lovely. And thick.

Littlest Monkey assures me that it is much better than any yoghurt I have ever bought. And 'cos it's still a novelty, both monkey boys are happily hopping into a jar of it when they come home from school. Which makes me very pleased because I was doing my head in trying to decide which yoghurt at the supermarket had the least amount of cacky additives.

I've been flavouring the yoghurt with: puree of mushy overripe banana, spoonfuls of honey, out of season strawberries (tsk, tsk) and frozen berries. I even lashed out and bought a vanilla bean today and was feeling very masterchefy until I saw the mess I'd made of it with my blunt knife. Next week I think I'll try some toasted oats and nuts too. I'm also thinking that when the plum tree drips with plums again this year I'll stew and freeze some up especially for the yoghurt.

So who else in blogland makes their own yoghurt?

16 comments:

  1. I have a confession - I've never made yoghurt. The stuff my mother made for us was gross even with added fruit. When I left home and realised bought yoghurt actually tasted nice I was surprised. But littlest monkey knows what tastes nice, so that's a good recommendation. Include him in your infomercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A million years ago I made yoghurt using a thermos. But I am with you VG, nothing wrong with simplicity if it means you are going to use it. I might even buy one of these myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do, but I buy the Greek yoghurt powder sachets.....guess I could just use milk and a bit of yoghurt too. We enjoy it in smoothies and with porridge, and I quite like it with just a little honey drizzled on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I love yoghurt and eat heaps of it on my porridge with honey every day. I have just found the best yoghurt I've ever tasted that is low fat and sugar and that is Nestles Active natural. I just dollop it on and have an extra spoonful before I get to the table. Now if the home made is nicer,well I must have a go. I just have to find the yoghurt maker.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a yogurt maker and just recently got it right so that the yogurt comes out nice and thick. My boys also love it with a bit of honey.
    Mine has one large container, not the individual jars like yours, which I really like. I think I might decanter it into old baby food jars, just enough for 1 serving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh that looks so good! I do love home made yoghurt. Yummy yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got that yoghurt maker to work. I did 2 batches in that machine & neither worked. Most disappointing as i'm keen on making my own yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been vaguely looking for a suitable thermos to try making yoghurt. Mum used to do it when we were kids. I reckon this looks easier though, Aldi you say, when did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanetteann it must be faulty -send it back.
    Liz -aldi $20 bought it last week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have an Easiyo yogurt maker and we just love it.It is so easy and we can make the packet yogurt or fresh yogurt from our goats milk.I do have some gadgets at the back of my cupboard...I bought an electric pasta maker that takes hours to make one piece of pasta( exaggeration) but can't bear to throw it out.
    Loved the photo with the stawberries on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have an Easiyo and have a routine that works very well, but gosh I do love the fact that yours are in those cute little GLASS jars. I would much prefer glass to plastic. Sometimes I wish I lived near a big city so that I could find things like that...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do! :-) I love homemade yogurt and especially love you have full control over the amount of sweetener that goes in. I have a machine very similar to yours and it makes it such a breeze. Your vanilla bean comments made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aldi has some great bargains and for $20 i think i might just have to get one too. I love yogurt but have never made my own ......time for a first !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, think I might have to visit Aldi and check this out. Making yogurt has been on my make from scratch list for ages, but it seemed too complicated and time consuming for me to do by hand. A machine could be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there,
      My name is Rosie. I've read your comments on yogurt making and let me tell you it's the best ever. Take it from a 1st tmer. I bought myself a yogurt machine from Aldi. The brand is Lumina for around $10. It comes with 7X200 gram jars. First of all you preheat the machine with the jars while you bring 5 cups of milk pura permeate free. Let it cool down to about 40C . You add 1 x200 gram tub of plain yogurt to half of the milk whisk it till mixed thoroughly then add it to the rest of the milk wisk it again. Pour it into the jars you have warmed up screw the lids place in the machine and place the cover and let the magic begin. Check it at 3 hours by tilting the jar remove the lid so you can see if its thick its ready. It took me only 3 hours. Turn off the machine and place jars in the refrigerator to chill. And presto there you have it real home made yogurt. You can add your fruit, sweeten with honey or have it natural. Your choice. Happy yogurt making

      Delete
  15. Hello there
    My name is Rosie,
    I read your comments about yogurt making I'm so excited to say that I've purchased and Aldi Lumina Yogurt maker from Aldi of course for $10. and it's the best investment I've made since I made yogurt for the first time so easy to make. It only took me less than 3hours instead of the regular 8-10 hours recommended on the instruction manual. I used 5 cups of the pura milk permeate free & 1x 200 gram tub of plain Greek yogurt. You bring the milk to the boil you cool it down to about 40C you stir in the plain yogurt to half of the milk stir it with a whisk till mixed thoroughly add to remainder of the milk and pour the mixture into the glasses the machine comes with 7X200 gram glass jars fill upto the rim of jars place lids and leave in the machine turn switch on and let the magic begin check it about 3 hours by tilting jar a little and see if it has set I guarantee you it will turn off the machine and place in the refrigerator to chill. There you have it yogurt made to your delight. While you bring your milk to the boil preheat the machine with jars in it till you prepare your milk mixture with the yogurt don't turn off leave it on for the whole time till your yogurt is ready to refrigerate. So easy. Happy yogurt making

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails