Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Ricotta Gnocchi with Silverbeet & Parsley

OK. So here 'tis. The recipe I promised last post but didn't have the time or eyesight to write up. A guaranteed hit with all - especially if made with fresh ricotta. And it's a good one for the kids to make - it's simple and all that rolling about and mucky hands is fun.

Ricotta Gnocchi with Silverbeet & Parsley
• 500g fresh ricotta
• 1 cup parmesan cheese
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 cup 00 flour
• a bunch of silverbeet, stems removed, finely chopped
• a bunch of parsley, finely chopped (optional)
• olive oil
• parsley & grated parmesan extra to serve

Drain the ricotta in a sieve over a bowl in the fridge. I've been told you're supposed to do this overnight but I never start dinner the night before. Draining for a couple of hours has worked fine for me.
Cook silverbeet in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil until wilted. Allow to cool and then squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can.
Place the ricotta, parmesan, eggs, salt, silverbeet and parsley in a bowl and mix until combined. Add the flour to make a dough. Don't work it too much.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into logs and then chop them into bite sized pieces. (Or if you want to do it Littlest Monkey style just roll them into little balls from the bowl.)
Bring to boil a large saucepan of lightly salted water and gently drop a few of the gnocchi in at a time.  They are ready about a minute after they rise to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and repeat with the rest.
Serve with a tomato sauce and more parmesan and parsley.

9 comments:

  1. Oh yummo!! This is going on our menu later in the week! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe, the banner at the top, the whole blog, the littlest monkey and yourself all look fabbo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a version of these that I posted a while back - it has oregano instead of parlsey and a little netmug but otherwise is very similar - great aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum that looks good, I started the other day after your post and good some of my summer veggie in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that, it looks delicious. I've always got loads of silverbeet so I'm sure I'll be making that really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good!! I know what I'm making when I get home. I'm missing good simple home cooked food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost makes me wish I had some young kids to feed it to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh , this is something I could make. Thanks so much for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very timely post. Thank you so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails