Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Striking and Herding and Making Some Cheese

Yep. I've been fiddling about making changes to the blog. In fact, I've been staring at the screen so long that last night my eyes started wobbling around and everything went a bit blurry. I blame it all on the newly discovered picmonkey which has dragged me from pinterest. Oooh yeah, I'm loving the picmonkey.

Littlest Monkey was enlisted to pose for my modelling shoot yesterday arvo so I could get the header photo right. I think he has a new calling. He was prancing and preening about like a professional.
See. He can do the serious look with a funky sideways hat.

Anyway, hope you like the new look blog.

I must say, I managed to be rather productive yesterday. I successfully herded two monkeys and a borrowed one through the streets of Melbourne on their first teachers' strike. Without losing them or getting them run over by a tram. And I only snapped at Monkey Man three times when I was told to stop stressing. I also managed the more incredible task of keeping three little monkeys in their seats during the speeches and simultaneously quiet and rowdy at the appropriate moments (thanks to chocolate and gadgets and the possibility of appearing on telly if they waved their placards and booed and cheered loudly enough).

Then when we got home I fed them more sugary stuff that we'd forgotten to bring to the rally and let them play on more screens while I made ricotta cheese. Since Gavin from Greening of Gavin came to my place to run a cheese making workshop I have made ricotta a couple of times but haven't yet attempted the mozzarella by myself. Anyway, ricotta is super easy and super satisfying and super yum. You can find a recipe here at Green Living Australia and this is also where I bought a starter cheese making kit.
Ricotta making
 So. After all that striking, herding, modelling and cheese-making I turned the ricotta into dinner - ricotta gnocchi with bits of parsley and rainbow silverbeet from the modelling shoot. I will post a recipe for you all but it will have to be another day because I have had way too much screen time and I am a bit concerned about my googly eyes.





19 comments:

  1. I love the new look - fab header photo. I'm also newly motivated to attempt my own ricotta! This weekend if the kids behave themselves for long enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to make it Liz. Try the chocolate and screen babysitter!

      Delete
  2. i am impressed i burned mine when i tried

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I did stir pretty much the whole way through. Try again joyful!

      Delete
  3. Love it. I think Picmonkey looks way more exciting that Picasa3 or Photoshop that I use!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixiebelle if you can use photoshop you probably won't be that excited. I could never manage to learn photoshop - too tricky when I was only doing it every so often. But picmonkey is so easy.

      Delete
  4. Nice and bright! Hope your eyes recover some time soon. Nice garden collection too, and what a cute little model you have! Great going on the ricotta scene as well. Pretty productive day all round by the sounds. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. My eyes are fine- they were just strained I think last night.

      Delete
  5. Great new look VG. Lovely photo of you too! I'd like to have a go at making ricotta one day, but I'd need a tutorial session like you had, rather than just a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not hard Mark. You should give it a go.

      Delete
  6. Nice green crunchy header.I'd love to make ricotta. Everytime I buy it,I forget it only has a 3 day life before going sour.I never use it up in time. Making it as I need it would be great. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what was happening to me too. Much better making it fresh.

      Delete
  7. I'm yet to make mozzarella again since Gavin's lesson, a little daunting. Your dinner sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same Kirsty- but now that I feel confident with the ricotta I will give the mozzarella a go soon.

      Delete
  8. Your new header looks so fresh and inviting, i will have to start on getting the veggie garden back in to shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks green thumb. Good luck with your veggie garden.

      Delete
  9. Oh at first I thought you were striking cuttings.... I love the new look - your rainbow chard is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new Look, was a bit confused at first thought there was a new member in the family then worked out picmonkey was all about photos!!!
    Good on you including all the monkeys in your march and what you believe in......
    Will be looking forward to your recipe...
    Have a great Weekend..............hopefully we may see some sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails