Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

The First Avocado


Well I finally picked that first avocado. Actually I had to enlist Monkey Man to do the picking 'cos I was too short. He picked two and I popped them in a paper bag with a brown banana to go ahead and ripen. I was rather impatient with the ripening and gave them both a bit of a squeeze every day which I'm surprised didn't result in big bruises. After what seemed an age but was actually about 10 days, one of them was ready. And it was delicious. As delicious as the first avocado ever grown on an avocado tree is sure to taste.

But I'll let you in on a little secret. I am the only person in my family who likes avocados. Every other monkey calls avocado "green slime" and refuses to eat it. I know. Weird. Both the little Monkeys will go out of their way to make a big mess and poke out the avocado inside a nori roll. The only way they will eat it is as a guacamole dip and only then if it is part of a selection of toppings to go inside tacos. Which makes no sense to me - what's the difference between guacamole on bread or a biscuit compared to in a taco? Anyway, I would happily eat an entire avocado with a spoon straight from the skin in one sitting. Actually I would probably eat all three in one sitting. When I was a teenager I remember chopping them in half, taking out the stone and topping each half with grated cheese. Then I'd pop them under the grill 'til the cheese went brown and bubbly. Which sounds a bit horrid to me now. Too rich. And warm avocado yuck.

Anyway, problem is, avocados although healthy, are rather fattening. And I have gained a few too many kilos this year. Which I am gradually successfully shedding but only by carefully watching everything I put in my mouth. So I was very restrained with my avocado consumption. I sliced half of it up and popped it on some dry biscuits. And I ate them slowly, savouring every mouthful.Yum.

Now as you may remember, this avocado tree is over 20 years old and has never ever produced a fruit until now. And even though there was only the miniscule crop of three avocados, I am massively excited. But a little anxious too. Look at the tree at the moment.

It is full of flowers. Which is not unusual. Every year there have been flowers - but until now, no fruit. I don't know what went right last year. I'm wondering how much finger crossing I will need to do for a repeat performance or if I should interfere with the pollinating process. I have read that to increase your chances you can get out there with a paintbrush and spread the pollen about. 'Cos avocado trees have A & B flowers which open and close at different times. Or something like that.

So what do you think? Should I interfere or cross my fingers hope for the best?

23 comments:

  1. That great that you got your first Avocado, I would give it a go on half the tree to see if anything comes of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you! and lucky for you that you can enjoy solitary avo season.
    I'm no help with the pollinating business....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum!! I'm so jealous, your own Avo tree, they wouldn't last long in our house. Luck you!

    Holli xo

    www.twinsplusonemumma.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you do help with pollination...and if you are successful...what will you do with all the avos? Mmmm! Quite a dilemma you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know loads of people who will help me out there!

      Delete
  5. Yay for ripe avocados!
    I disliked avocados until the grand old age of 37. Something changed after I had children and I started craving them.
    No idea about pollinating them, but hope to have my own one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our tree is also full of flowers. But September is the windy month here and every time I look there seem to be more flowers on the ground than on the tree. I guess we will just have to see what happens. Hope you get a few more next time round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your first avocado. I have no idea how to aid pollination, but I hope you have many more avocados to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am green with envy like your avocado...hehehe...so nice to have them in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am jealous too! I love avocado and so wish I could grow them here. Maybe I can!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, pretty sure it's never going to happen here in Tas. My daughter is trying but I think it will ever be an ornamental tree. So a hearty congratulations to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting. Our Avocado tree is only a year old so it will be a long time before we get any fruit. I know that too much and too little water can be an issue. As can too much high nitrogen fertiliser.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay - thanks for the update. I was actually thinking of you and your avocados yesterday and wondering how they were getting along. I really really hope that you get more fruit this year - I can't imagine that a little paintbrushing is going to hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I think eating a home-grown Avocado is a major achievement. I think it might be worth trying the assisted pollination thing - I don't think it can do any harm even if it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a big fan of helping the pollination along with a paintbrush... or just rubbing the flowers together gently. I'm curious about where are you growing this avocado tree.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Green slime indeed! Oh well, just think, more for you. How absolutely wonderful. My hint for ripeness? Just push/feel the very top of the avocado, near where the fruit comes off the tree. If this is softish then you are ready to crack it open and enjoy. That way, if you are going to bruise anything you just bruise one little tiny bit

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have one avocado loving child and one who takes the green slime view. Personally I love them and woul happily eat any number in one sitting, although perhaps not grilled with cheese. i have been known to make a pasta sauce with avocado,chicken and cream though. The fat in them (the avo not the cream) is supposed to be very good for you (not sure if that means it avoids the hips or not....).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think avocados are the most delicious thing since sliced bread... my fingers are crossed so hard for my tiny flowering tree that I may never uncross them again.

    Im so jealous of your green slime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails