Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My New Number One

I've got a new number one. Parsley.

I know, I know I keep getting new favourites but parsley is surely it right now. And I promise I won't make a new number one anytime soon.

As you may remember, I have been attempting to rid my garden of grass by filling all the spaces.  So way back in winter I grew a load of parsley from seed and then I planted it everywhere. And now I am reaping the rewards. Loads and loads of parsley.

I've got parsley with the silverbeet at my back door.

Parsley (and not much else) in the herb spiral.

Parsley growing in the cracks between the paths and garden beds.

And parsley growing with the weeds and grass (yep I've still got grass to be rid of).
I do love parsley.  A finely chopped parsley garnish makes any dish look better. Oh and taste better I think. Well at least it'll make it taste fresher and you'll feel better 'cos you are doing some good for your body.

Did you know that gram for gram, parsley has twice as much vitamin C as an orange? I only know this 'cos my sister is a nutritionist and I nag her for little tidbits like that sometimes.

Anyway, I was reading Vegetable Vagabond's Spring herb post a few weeks ago and was reminded that I wanted to make a parsley pesto. She recommended parsley and walnut. But I happened to have pine nuts in my cupboard so thought I'd try the usual sort of pesto - except with the parsley not the basil.
Now if you're expecting a parsley pesto to taste super yum like a basil pesto unfortunately in my opinion it doesn't.  Next time I will add parmesan to the pesto to give it a bit more bite. But anyway it looks good and it's good for you. And I kidded myself that when greens are smashed up like that my Littlest Monkey may not be able to pick them out and may just inadvertently eat them. But I was wrong. Little Monkey Boy just doesn't like all those green bits spoiling his pasta. So I decided to do a little tricky thing with my remaining pesto - put it in a muffin. What kid can resist a muffin after a hard hungry day at school? Once they get over the disappointment of it being savoury not sweet. And green.

Parsley Pesto Savoury Muffin 

(Makes 24 mini muffins)

• 4 T parsley pesto (the same as a basil pesto but with parsley)
• 50g melted butter
• 2 cups SR flour
• 2 eggs
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1/2 cup tasty grated cheese
• 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
• salt & pepper to taste

Grease your muffin tray & pre-heat the oven to 180ÂșC.

Mix together flour, cheese, pesto, salt & pepper in a large bowl.  Make a well in the middle and pour in the eggs, milk & melted butter.  Fold it all in until just combined.  Be careful not to over-mix - that'll make a nasty, chewy muffin.

Divvy the mixture up in your muffin holes and cook for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.




8 comments:

  1. My parsley is looking and tasting great at the moment also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds tasty - my parsley has also done well this year. I really hope it survives year round

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pesto looks delish, I would happily put that on everything I ate. And good idea with the muffins too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like parsley pesto but I do think you're right - the basil version is better. I must torment my children with more savoury muffins, very nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the parsley is taking over. What a nice problem to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried hard with savoury muffins, especially since my boys don't love sandwiches. But to no avail. Even when I pack them with cheese. But haven't tried pesto....so it might be worth experimenting again. I agree, basil pesto is much better than parsley...but coriander or mint are both great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had that much Parsley! It's a herb that we use a lot, but I never manage to have enough of it. Very often mine succumbs to little grey aphids that attack the roots rather than the leaves. We like Parsley sauce with baked gammon, but I suppose that wouldn't be any good for a vegetarian like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious way to deal with the parsley excess!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails