Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Preparing for the Summer Stuff

Don't you think veggie gardens are cool the way they can transform the whole look of your garden with the seasons?

I just chopped out my broad bean plants. They didn't do as well as last year - I suspect I could have grown a few more if I'd left them longer. But I needed the space. Wow the corner near the chooks looks different since they've been chopped.  I also cleared out my brassicas plot where I'd left a few plants to save the seeds. But I didn't get 'round to drying and saving the seeds. Sigh.

Anyway, everything looks open and bare and now I don't need to duck and weave and push my way around the little veggie tracks. And I can see the chooks going about their business. And so can Wokee the fluffy canine which is keeping her amused and keeping the chooks flapping and squawking about.

I've wacked in a load of summer stuff.  I've got: beans, tomatoes, canteloupe, lettuce, spaghetti squash, cucumber and corn. And I'm hoping that when my garlic is out I'll have enough space for capsicum and eggplant and zucchini and more chilli. And probably other stuff that I've forgotten. Anyway, those seedlings are growing on my outdoor table. Slowly. I do hope I have some success this year with the capsicum and eggplant but I'm concerned my plants aren't advanced enough now. They really should be in the ground I reckon. I do dislike green capsicum and I know they need a long time in the sun to ripen up. Oh well, fingers crossed.

So now I need to cook up a storm with all these broad beans. I'm leaving them on the kitchen bench and every time I make myself a cup of tea I shell a few while I wait for the kettle to boil. Otherwise it seems like a very big job.

What have you all got growing for summer?

15 comments:

  1. I have my tomatoes in and am hoping they fruit before the summer storms come. I have 2 types of capsicums in the italian fryers which are a new one for me and a lone red pepper that kept growing from last year even though half of it got snapped off. I also have lebanese cucumbers and button squash in. I am waiting to pull my garlic as well, about 2 more weeks if I can wait that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I wonder if I should try keeping some capsicum in pots all year round? I don't think my garlic will be ready for a while still. Wait for your garlic if yu can- last year I was too early and they were tiny.

      Delete
  2. Oh it looks as though you need to make some more tea ;) I once had a salad that had broad beans, watercress, feta and beetroot. amazing.... We grow all the weird tropical stuff at this time of year - snake beans, loofah, winged beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my I would love to have a go at the weird stuff!

      Delete
  3. All the 'norm' in here......except corn yet, no corn as I havnt got any room left...Im waiting for stuff to throw seeds and then I can plant some more too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my fingers crossed for the corn. Last year the goats broke in and ate it.
      I need to develop more patience like you to save the seeds.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I love the way veggie gardens change with the seasons too. Great for folks like me who get bored easily. I've got dwarf watermelon, dwarf pumpkin, lots of basil, 5 types of tomatoes, capsicum, zucchini, cucumber, beans, potatoes, garlic. I'm looking forward to hearing how your corn goes (kind of love how naughty goats can be) as we don't really have the space for decent block planting (& therefore polination)on our teeny tiny inner Sydney block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin... I forgot I was going to try pumpkin this year. Hmm maybe there's space somewhere.
      I've only planted a small patch of corn. It works pretty well here maybe you could squish them in next year.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely load of stuff you are planting. I haven't even been able to get my eggplant and capsicum seeds to germinate this year, not sure what I am doing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why - was your seed old? That's frustrating. Mine has germinated but they're growing soooo slowly.

      Delete
  6. Your kitchen looks like mine - full of broad beans! I also pulled mine out yesterday to make room for (more tomatoes) Once those go in we will have 28 plants. I like growing tomatoes, what can I say?! Also we have cucs, watermelon eggplant, pumpkin, capsicum, chilllis a few different types of zucchini, bus and climbing beans. I'm thinking about planting some fennel too. Love summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't planted out any chillies or capsicums yet either - they're in little pots away potting up into bigger pots as I've run out of space for them anywhere else. In already I have tomatoes, eggplants, beans, zucchini, cucumber, loads of lettuce, beetroot, pumpkin although I actually think I should have waited a bit longer before planting some of them. I'm thinking I'll put in corn and more beans when I pull the garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. I have cleared out all the brassicas and planted seeds for cucumbers, corn, beans (storing, climbing and bush types), eggplants, zucchini, watermelons and rockmelons. The tomatoes have been planted out a few weeks ago and now a few have flowers! Yay! I succumbed to two capsicium plants at the nursery, and so now feel I have a headstart on the peppers and don't need to get those seeds in so urgently. Though I will need to do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a plaver! We have (had) a TV programme here called The Fast Show, which had a character that was like Mr.P sounds to be - The "Annoying Dad", who was forever saying "You don't want to do it like that! You want to do it like I do." Mr P. evidently sees himself as your Surrogate Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got tomatoes, bush beans, pumpkin, cucumber, capsicum, beetroot in the garden beds. In my makeshift mini-greenhouses there's carrots, corn from old packets although I've never done well with corn, and some stuff I can't remember because I'm slack at keeping track of what I've planted :) And I completely keep forgetting to put the seed potatoes in.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails