Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Baby Corn

Baby Corn
I'm not at all sure that I will grow corn again. I have attempted baby corn for about 5 years. Last year Mr P.s goats broke in and ate them. And the years before I was too late with the picking. I've found it tricky to figure out just when to pick baby corn. With normal corn you wait for the tassly bits to brown. I think. With baby corn you don't. And you don't want to wait too long or they'll grow too big. This year I'm a bit late again with some of it 'cos we went on a two week holiday.

On the drive home from the holiday I saw an enormous field of corn. And it was all planted close together - proving again my theory that those directions on the back of seed packets are way wrong. At least it looked like the corn was planted close together as we whizzed by at 100km/hr.

Anyway, home grown baby corn is super dooper good and sweet. It is absolutely nothing like the stuff you get in a can. You can eat home grown baby corn raw.

But I didn't get much corn for all that effort - after I let some get too big and snapped a couple of stalks with the hose and planted too few seeds too far apart. So as I was picking some today I thought maybe I'd give it a miss next year. Until Littlest Monkey tasted one and went over the top with his praise for home grown baby corn. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure about whether Littlest Monkey was playing me. On our holiday I was exclaiming about a beautiful  sunset. And Littlest Monkey joined in saying:

"Isn't it beautiful? It is soooo amazing...".

And there I was thinking that I had the most sensitive 7 year old boy in the whole world. Until he leaned over and whispered to Eldest Monkey Boy:

"Not".

So maybe he thinks baby corn is terrific. Or maybe he is just having a bit of fun with me.


10 comments:

  1. once its in a stirfry it will be yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always seems like a wasted opportunity when you pick a vegetable at an immature stage. The product has to be VERY good to justify it. Is this the case with your baby corn, do you think? I think commercially-grown corn is succesful mainly BECAUSE it is grown so densely. The tassels on each cob are pretty well bound to be fertilised by pollen from somewhere (any direction will do) - except in the case of the ones on the outside of the block. The ones we as amateur gardeneres grow are unfortunately the equivalent of those Outsiders. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm whilst I have known my kids to like things just to annoy me (or pretend to like them to get on my good side - their goal usually being a lolly of some sort) I have never ever known them to eat a vegetable just to please me....ever....Based on this I think he liked the corn....maybe. Regardless though I always think it best to grow the things I like - my tastes being far less fickle than theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah kids, I love the 'not'......I must admit I am guilty of doing the 'not'....sarcasm, so easily mimicked.....lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got to love kids..... Always screwing with our heads!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always think of baby corn as an end of summer byproduct of corn growing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for persevering; I would have given up years ago. I do plant my corn pretty close, about 20cms apart, but sometimes I find the plant leaves overhang the cobs so I tend to hand pollinate to be on the safe side. The baby corn looks great though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buck the system! I never believe the packets - or at least maybe I just know that not every plant will pop up to make it the exact spacing. It always seems like so much wasted space in between too - so I throw in some shallow rooted plants at the base - and even some climbing beans a few weeks after the corn is established. They climb the stalks and produce even more in the same space. I love a bit of a rebellious garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah boys :) Good work on the corn. Ours last year failed to germinate but we have grown rather good full size corn this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails