Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thursday's Garden Gobbles

I didn't think I was one for New Year's Resolutions but yesterday, at the end of the first month in the new year, I found myself writing a list of goals for 2013. I won't bore you silly with all the details but they did involve a singing project and getting fit and losing weight and finishing the drama book I've been writing for two years (yep I'm slow) and starting an exciting new hobby (more about that some time later). And improving on the veggie growing front.

What I'd really like to do is to get more organised and productive in the garden and to make sure that I don't waste the stuff I'm growing. So I've set myself a challenge. Each Thursday I'm gonna do a Garden Gobble post. It will contain a picture of something I've managed to grow in the garden and a picture of a dish I made with the produce during the week. And I'm inviting you all to join in with a link to your own pics. If I can figure out the linky widget.

So I was playing around with the idea while I was sitting at the roller skating rink watching my kids go round and round on their last day of school holidays and I got all inspired and excited. Until I started worrying about the weeks in winter when nothing much grows for me and I don't seem to harvest anything. But then I figured out a loophole. The Gobbles created don't have to be jam packed full of garden goodies. A handful of parsley or some other herb would count. That makes the challenge do-able I think.

So now I've given you all the heads up, feel free to join in.  Take a couple of snaps and inspire me next Thursday with your food in Garden Gobbles

18 comments:

  1. that does sound like a great challenge. I am always anticipating great meals out of the garden, but do fall short at times. I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! I always love reading about what people make with their garden produce. I'll be sure to join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Bek - and I'm thinking I'll get some ideas from what others are doing.

      Delete
  3. Nice to hear you are a fellow goal setter. I am bigger believer in goal setting. When you hit a folk in the road, how do you know which direction to head if you don't have a destination. I have a goal to grow 80% of my families vegetables, and this goal gets me up and out in the garden every morning.

    As I get closer to this goal I have come to realise the kitchen and the garden go hand in hand. You can no longer pull out the same old recipes week after week. The internet has turned out to be a great source of recipe ideas when we have a glut of something.

    I look forward to contributing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason I so admire that 80% goal. I agree the Internet is fab. Looking forward to seeing your contributions.

      Delete
  4. That sounds great, try inLinkz that's what I'm using for the scavenger hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks greenthumb, that's the one I was looking at.

      Delete
  5. I'll take up your challenge VG. Though it will be interesting to say the least.
    Our shadehouse is full of roosters at the moment, thoug that will change!
    Gorgeous takings from yours though, well done.
    cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear,roosters in the shadehouse I bet they do damage. I'm afraid that photo is a recycled pic from Spring- when I was writing the post it was too late to take a current pic. I don't have any nice greens like that at the moment they are all brown and wilty from too much sun.

      Delete
  6. Sounds great, count me in,I've just done this weeks post on that very subject. Those greens look so healthy.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanetteann that has happened to us before - great minds think alike! I'd better go read your post right now.

      Delete
  7. I am keen to give this a go, but it is quite likely that you won't get 'recipes' from me...since I started gardening I have been throwing everything I harvest into a pan with an egg and feta. This may test my womanly arts. But I am looking forward to trying out others' recipes too. Thanks for launching this idea.
    Kali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg & feta are my faves too. I won't be doing recipes either - just pics.

      Delete
  8. I hope to be able to contribute. My offerings may not be all vegetarian though.
    Here in the UK we are in the "Hungry Gap" at present, so there is not much being harvested from my garden, but hopefully this will change soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Mark. No rules about vegetarian. In fact no rules at all. Well not much is being harvested from my garden either and I have no hungry gap excuse. My tomatoes are taking forever to ripen.

      Delete
  9. In a burst of over enthusiasm I am 6 days early with my post but I'll try and do another one next week as well. Great idea and I look forward to seeing everyones contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in too! I've never used a linky bit so I'll try and work it out too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails