Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dry, Dry, Dry

I can't believe it but I am actually looking forward to autumn. And this is a bloody shock to me because I have always been a lover of the warmth and despiser of the winter cold. I moan and groan my way through winter and start to leap about and smile the minute the sun starts cracking through the grey. But I'm a bit sick of summer. I'm a bit sick of the hot nights. I'm a bit sick of the kooky looks I get when I walk to the local shops with an umbrella to keep the sun off my freckled, fair skin.

And my garden looks well and truly sick of summer.

My garden is dry, dry, dry. And our water tank is empty. I know I should have succession planted but I haven't. I did an initial excited planting before Christmas and that was it. And now I have great patches of dry, barren un-mulched dirt where the corn once was or the silverbeet that went to seed has been pulled. And I have wilty tomato and bean plants - still producing but looking nasty and dry.
The avocado tree is wilty from too many scorchy, hot days. My first ever red ripened capsicum has what looks to my untrained eye a nasty sunburn and even hardy herbs like the rosemary are looking unhappy.
I never thought I'd say this but... bring on the autumn cool and a bit of rain!

16 comments:

  1. I do so agree. Normally I complain about Southern Tasmania not getting enough sunshine and warmth but this year has been so dry too. Imagine how I felt when I woke at 4am this morning to the sound of rain, heavy rain. And hang on, that was thunder and lightning too. My morning walk with the local walking group was absolute bliss. The rain seemed to have washed the trees and shrubs and the smell of the gum trees, wow. I hope that we might get a little more before we start to heat up for the weekend again.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT!!!! you pulled the spinach out...? I kept mine, revolting big thing it is, hitting me in the face everytime I walk past it...and no sign of any seeds dropping out of it...if it is, I cant see it ....and yes, Im getting itchy pulling out fingers down the back too..........time for the next plantings I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Suzanne but I collected a lot of seeds first. You will have to wait longer I'm guessing.

      Delete
  3. Ditto..it has just been constantly hot we have had hardly any rain in the last 6 months

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you can have some of ours. It is predicted that we will be getting another 5 days of rain and we have already had 100mls. I am sending it your way with my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I feel for you there, we just had the first rain in weeks (and luckily I just decided to plant seeds so that was good timing) all this hot dry sun is bad in Tasmania too but people look at me like I am odd when I mention that I can't wait for Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I am reading your comments over lunch it is drizzling. Yay. And although it is still hot inside, outside has cooled down. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here Here,totally agree. I'm taking the opportunity to bake today because it is slightly cooler.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. we have not had as much rain as normal (what is normal anyway?) but other than that it has been an uneventful year here in the tropics. Everyone down south seems to have had unseasonable weather with high temps and flooding, and now drought as well. Nice to hear that you are getting some rain at last, and I am sure we will soon hear you whining about the cold :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure I want the warm to go - I have enjoyed the weather this summer and today I felt cold - but we definitely need rain. I'm watching my front garden turn into a bed of corpses and whilst I water the veggies out back its just not the same is it? Maybe the thunderstorms forecast for later this week will bring some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely with you and have come to the end of my very short summer temperature threshold. Thank goodness for a more civilized temperature today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. Your garden looks like ours. Its been a struggle to keep anything alive this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. My tanks are overflowing, the garden has waist high grass (ok weeds) overnight, the vege beds are swampy, my newly sown seeds have drowned.
    We live in an a country of amazing contrasts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Want to do a swap then? I'm pining for a bit of warmth and sunshine. Don't you just wish you could turn it up or down, like air-conditioning or central heating?

    ReplyDelete
  14. here here, no summer vegie is worth the trade off of this scorching dry summer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails