Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Garden Gobbles - Salad Dressing & Weight Watching

So I have managed to gain on an additional 10kgs over the past year. I do love my food. I realised a couple of weeks ago that it was time to get serious about getting it back off. I did manage to lose a lot of weight on weight watchers a few years ago. And I kept it off for about 3 years which I will pat myself on the back for. But I am sick of feeling cranky with myself lately for overeating. So I'm back to tracking my points and throwing my money at the massive money making machine that is weight watchers.

I resent some things about weight watchers. They change their system every few years even when it worked perfectly well before. And it's obvious to me that they do that because they make oodles of money when they change things around because people purchase all their new cookbooks and products which have the new points system in them. And although I know those meetings work I really have to block my ears and take deep breaths when the leader tries to flog the latest weight watchers chocolate bar or whatever. Those products may not put much weight on but they are full of crappy chemicals and non nutritious stuff. I hate listening to advertisements which is why I mostly watch ABC TV. Anyway, that said. I know that weight watchers does work and that basically they do promote eating nutritious food in moderation and exercising more.

So my garden gobbles this week is a simple salad dressing. A bit of zing in a salad makes everything good. And a salad is even better with some protein like a little bit of crumbled feta or some lentils. I've been eating a lot of salads lately and I do love this dressing which if you happen to be at all interested in weight watchers is only 2 points on their new pro points system.

Salad Dressing for One:
1/2 red chilli from the garden (or more if your tongue likes more zing)
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice & some zest
1 tbs chopped herbs from the garden (I used parsley this time).
a pinch of salt

Mix up your salad dressing, drizzle it over the salad in a big bowl and then use your hands to mix it all through.

6 comments:

  1. I made a dressing similar to that a couple of weeks ago and mixed it with chick peas, tomato and cucumber. It was a fantastic salad that I munched on all week - adding a bit of lettuce or other greens at serving time. Our garden is not producing anything at the moment, but last night we had prawns and the shells always get dug into the garden, so while I am not taking out I am putting back into the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy! Know how you are feeling putting a bit of weight on too, it seems to happen all of a sudden and has a lot to do with my baking, I think. I had a similar experience as you have had at your weight watchers meetings when I went to a personal trainer in a small group.... he was talking about all these protein and diet shakes etc. and was not educating the group about good nutrition , just ways to get away from real food -I always feel like taking over meetings and groups like that and putting my 2 cents in , so frustrating and I feel like taking all the people home in the group to see my vege patch so that they can see some great healthy food that isn't a chocolate protein bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, a dressing makes a salad! But I'm fairly boring and tend to stick to olive oil with balsalmic or lemon juice. Must broaden my horizons! Good luck with your weight loss efforts, it can be very easy to put it on and quite challenging to lose but I have no doubt you know what you want to do and how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to Weight Watchers but a girl I used to work with did and we used to track points together which was great. I have to say it did work really well for the time I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That look good. I only have sweet basil at the moment for herb leaves. Same here, I still have 10kg to get rid off back before I had 3 little monkies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why don't you start your own "Weight Watchers" club, with a little group of friends for mutual support, instead of spending your money on the "big machine"? You could even devise your own points system....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails