Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Whitefly Success

Image from here
Do you remember in late Spring when I was lamenting my swarms of whitefly? Well I actually had completely forgotten all about the whitefly problem until I was reading with amusement and complete agreement Liz from Suburban Tomato's post on the worst things about Summer.

I had forgotten all about those pesky little flies because I somehow managed to get rid of them and had moved on to whining about other things - the heat and the weeds and the mess and the mice. I forgot that I no longer had a whitefly problem.

In late November I resorted to vacuuming the garden in a crazy attempt to be rid of those pesky little flies. You may think I am a bit kooky but I truly didn't think up this idea myself. I'd read about it. From reputable sources including wikipedia. But I only vacuumed a couple of times because as you no doubt know, I am lazy. And I hardly even get around to vacuuming my house let alone starting up on the garden. So I can't attribute my outdoor housekeeping to the whitefly elimination success.

We have been having a very hot summer in Melbourne. In fact it is the hottest on record so it is possible that my garden is less lush and less attractive to sap sucking whitefly and this has helped to eliminate them.

But my whitefly disappeared in late December before it started to get too stinky hot. Nope, I think the success was due to the three sprayings I carried out. Now I am not a fan of using spray concoctions. I garden organically. I am too lazy to mix up chilli and garlic and soap sprays. I squash snails and chuck green caterpillars to the chooks. But I did go out and buy some eco oil and neem oil. And I sprayed once with eco oil.  A few days later I did the neem oil and a week later I did the eco oil again. And then I think it was just about crazy Christmas time and I went on a little holiday and forgot all about it.

And now I realise that I haven't seen whitefly since then.

So the moral to this story - it's a whole lot easier to find things going wrong and to whine about them and if you keep it up you will forget to look at all the things going right. Aah yeah I'm an expert whinger.

Things going right in the garden...
We are getting a couple of eggs a day from the fuzzy chooks












The herb spiral is still alive and filling out

I have managed to find a good spot for clematis and haven't yet killed it

I have grown my first ever spaghetti squash

Last year's flower has self seeded in the watering can



And I am getting self seeded silverbeet too


12 comments:

  1. Oh I love spaghetti squash, but have not had any success with it up here. They say that if you leave pests alone the beneficials will come around and sort things out. I will keep the echo oil and neem oil in mind though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried the spaghetti squash for the first time tonight. Not as good as real spaghetti but for a low fat, low carb alternative it's good. Will show what I did in garden gobbles tomorrow morn.

      Delete
  2. I have some white fly on my lemon tree,which is still a baby so I went over every leaf and squashed all the eggs,at least I think they were white fly eggs.
    Lovely to see your successes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you are diligent. The whitefly didn't bother my lemon trees. Just all the herbs and tomatoes.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that something is going right, and that you have a chance to celebrate some successes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, so the silver beet did self seed, my plant is still in there can you believe it....? And it is starting to drop brownish things, which I am hoping are the seeds........so I will leave it there until I am sure,,at least now I know what I am looking for by seeing your tiny little wee seedlings.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can believe it - mine were there for ages. Yes the seeds are brown and kinda squiggly. Hope you get some seedlings too.

      Delete
  5. I must try your whitefly solution next year (no point this year, they have taken over my small world!). BUT, the whitefly in your photo seem to be much larger than the ones I've got. The ones in my garden are miniscule,they are like tiny specks of white dust. Are there different types, maybe? I reckon they would be easier to control if they were larger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nina, that photo is from SGA (follow link in caption) and I think has been blown up a lot. My whitefly were teeny too.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos, I am particularly taken with your flower in a watering can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not that I would ever whinge but if it's not whitefly, it's aphids or wind then along comes an escapee chook just when the lettuce is nearly ready!! Arggggh!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails