Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Garden Gobbles - Rosemary Oat Biscuits

Rosemary Oat Biscuits
The other week I disclosed that I was on weight watchers. Well, today's Garden Gobbles features a weight watchers recipe using rosemary from the garden. I am always looking for a savoury snack that will hit the spot in the afternoon. I often find myself eating those rice crackers that are loaded with salt. And I know they're not good for me. I just don't usually get around to baking savoury snacks.

Anyway, I came across this recipe and thought I'd give it a go. Even though it did look rather bland. And a bit wholesome-hippy. It tasted however, surprisingly good to me. Especially with a smidge of low fat feta. And it filled me up. And it was only one weight watchers pro point per bikkie.

Rosemary Oat Biscuits

1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch bicarb soda
2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
1tbs olive oil
Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 140C . Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Combine oats, salt, bicarb and rosemary in a bowl. Mix and add black pepper.
Make a well and add the oil and 1/3 cup hot water. Using wet hands mix it up and squish it together until it makes a ball. Turn it onto a baking sheet and squash it til it's about 7mm thick.  Using a 6cm round cutter, cut rounds from the dough. Squish together the scraps and repeat to make 12 biscuits. Bake for 40-45 minutes. The recipe says bake til they are crisp and golden... I don't reckon these biscuits are ever going golden. But I was happy with chewy and holding together.

What have you been cooking from the garden?

8 comments:

  1. Never mind weight watchers - they look yummy! I like a savoury biscuit but never think to make them myself. Might have to give these a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm those sound interesting, and not rolled terrifically thin it seems like they would hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always mean to make more savoury snacks, particularly for the kids lunchboxes but I never seem to get around to it. Except for popcorn - I make a lot of popcorn but I'm not entirely sure that counts....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that term "wholesome-hippy". We often refer to something as "looks good for you" in the same way. Some things just don't look appetising and need something to give them a visual lift. your sprig of Rosemary at the side of the plate certainly helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found you, and I'm excited to be joining in!
    Thanks for hosting!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just started a bit of a diet to and find late afternoon a hard time, usually just an apple. Your biscuits look great ! weight watchers have some great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I like this especially knowing it can be gluten free using gluten free oats. Nice post!

    We've been eating the last of the kale from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For someone like me who is not good at baking, I think I can try this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails