Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Garden Gobbles - Spaghetti Squash Fritters

This week I used the last of the spaghetti squash. Sounds impressive doesn't it? Like I had oodles and oodles of spaghetti squash just hanging off the fence over summer. Nope. Actually I had just the two.

Anyway, after the first one I wasn't all that impressed with the flavour. I'm not a squash sort of girl. Nevertheless I reckon I'll be growing it again next year. 'Cos it was easy and filling and I've collected the seeds. So I let the last of the squash hang about on the trellis for a few weeks while I figured out something appetising to do with it. I reckon that anything tastes good fried. (I would think that at the moment while I'm dieting!) And my little monkeys love anything squished into a circular shape, fried and called a pancake. So I made these fritters. But I called them pancakes when I presented them. I think if I was doing them again I would add a bit of flour (maybe pea flour or gram flour) to make them a bit more solid. You need to be careful with these ones and not fiddle about with them in the pan - only flip them when they're brown or they'll break.

Spaghetti Squash Fritters

• 1 spaghetti squash
• 100g ricotta cheese
• 2 eggs
• a bunch of herbs from the garden
• oil for frying

Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Bake face down on a tray in the oven for about 45 minutes.
When cooked, scoop out the spaghetti using a fork and plonk it in a bowl. Add to the bowl the herbs, ricotta cheese, eggs and a bit of salt and pepper and mix it all up.
Heat a fair bit of oil in a fry pan. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan. When they are golden on one side carefully flip them over (watch out they are fragile).
Drain on paper towel and serve with salad.


7 comments:

  1. After all our summer rain I finally have a few things growing in the garden so hopefully I will now be able to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious, and I find if I don't add flour of some kind my fritters always fall apart. I love spaghetti squash - always used to have it with spaghetti sauce, but now I use frozen spinach instead. I tried to grow it here, but it didn't survive. I am looking forward to a bumper veggie season this year and then I will join in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum looks delicious! A friend gave me a spaghetti squash and I kept the seeds for next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi VG , most impressed with your spagetti squash fritters,did the plants need much water over the summer? I have 3 zucchini sitting in the bottom of the fridge so maybe time for some fritters! Good luck with the diet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a squash kind of girl, or boy for that matter, either. So I wasn't overly saddened when we got none this summer. Last summer however grew masses of these whopper ones, a few the size of dinner plates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and read delicious. Okay, we bloggers are inviting ourselves to your home :-).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails